jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Punctuation in web article/hub title

1. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 3 years ago

I've been trying to figure this one out for awhile. I've read in various places that it's a bad idea to use punctuation in a web article's title. In my hubs and elsewhere I've used question marks, colons, and commas. I might have used other kinds of punctuation marks, but those are the ones I know I've used. It has been said that search engines will have difficulty reading titles with punctuation; also some punctuation is frowned upon by Google, like too many exclamation points or "excessive" use of punctuation to get attention or misuse of symbols/punctuation. However, some of what I've read on this is conflicting and vague. I wanted to know what anyone here at HP knows about this. Related to this, I understand it's better to use a short, rather broad title for your article/hub; succinct, I guess you might say.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You should use proper punctuation. You do not end a title with a period though, but you can end it with an exclamation point or a question mark. As far as I know, search engines will ignore apostrophes and commas. Titles should be 60 characters or under to avoid being cut off by Google in the search

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
        LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the info. This is something that I was not aware of nor had I given it much thought,

2. NateB11 profile image92
        NateB11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is interesting because I know I have some hubs that have more than 60 characters in their titles. Will changing the title on a hub make a difference? I'm not sure, because the URL remains the same.