jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Office 97 or Office 2010?

1. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

My new laptop came with a trial version of office 97 preinstalled. I'm not especially enamoured with it, but it has more functionality than Works. So....I'm wondering whether to buy it, go back to 93, or try the new office 2010. Has anyone tried 2010 and care to comment on it? I don't like the way Office has become more and more  web based, and 2010 seems to have further integration in that direction.

1. tritrain profile image76
      tritrainposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Do you mean Office 2007? 

Meh.  I'd stick with that. 

Or just use the free Open Office.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Gawd I've done it gain and lost 10 years of my life! You are correct I did indeed mean 2007. I'm not familiar with the free open office?

2. thisisoli profile image64
        thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Why not Office 2010 by the way, that is the latest version.

2. thisisoli profile image64
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Open Office is pretty good, but then again so was Office 97.  The only reason I would upgrade is if you work for people who use teh newest version of Office.

Be warned though, the new versions of MS Office are VERY different, and take a lot of getting used to!

3. skyfire profile image72
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

You can still buy office 2003 in some stores or via web download. It is not supported anymore by microsoft but it can get your work done.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think there might be an old office 2003 version lying around here somewhere.
      I don't work for anyone but myself. I just need a good working version of Word and Excel so I may very well just uninstall 2007 and install 2003 instead. I don't need the online support. Thanks lads smile

working