Visiting the former Central Library, Alexandra Road, Swansea, Wales: part of the University of Wales Trinity St David
Opened by a hugely popular Gladstone
Today, the former Swansea Central Library on Alexandra Road forms part of the Swansea (Welsh: Abertawe) campus of the University of Wales Trinity St. David.
The building dates from 1887, its design the work of Henry Holtom and is executed in Classical Italian style. Typically there is variation in the window pediment patterns, with rounded shapes informing the ground floor windows, while the first floor window pediments are triangular. Another feature is a 7.6 metre dome which used to be the roof of the Central Library reading room.
The former Central Library, which closed at this venue in 2007 (1), previously had a domed tower above its main entrance on Alexandra Road, but this did not survive. I have supplied a photo of the building, dating from the 1890s, which shows this feature.
A historical association of the building is that it was opened in 1887 by William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898). As Liberal leader a hugely popular figure in Wales (2), who served several terms as Prime Minister of Great Britain, Gladstone was often invited to preside at public functions in Wales. On this occasion, huge crowds attended his public appearance in the borough. Historian Ralph Griffiths writes:
"It was Swansea's largest and best orchestrated political jamboree in modern times. The ostensible, formal purpose of the visit was to admit Gladstone as a Freeman of Swansea and for the Grand Old Man to open he new building in Alexandra Road which housed a free public library, an art gallery and school of art. .. The most spectacular event during the visit took place on Saturday, 4 June, which was declared a public holiday locally.. .Massed homage was paid to Gladstone by tens of thousands who marched from the town to listen to the great man—a large leek in is button-hole—deliver..an hour-long speech which (The Cambrian reported politely) showed a 'wonderful mastery of circumlocutory eloquence'. His audience responded with prolonged applause and occasional cries of 'Home Rule for Wales'. Henry Hussey made a note of the time it took for the crowds of Liberals, nonconformists, public figures and enthusiastic Welsh men and women to pass Mr. Gladstone as he stood patiently..: 4 hours 25 minutes."(3)
Today the restored Old Central Library building houses a centre for design excellence.
Alexandra Road, Swansea, has in recent years been undergoing a program of regeneration. Opposite the former Central Library building is the Glyn Vivian Art Gallery, a facility which has recently been refurbished.
January 27, 2015
(1) Swansea's new Central Library is located in the city's Civic Centre.
(2) Interestingly, in 1906, Wales returned not a single non-Liberal Member of Parliament in the general election held that year. The popularity of this leader of Liberalism clearly extended also over the Atlantic; Canadians familiar with the Toronto area may recall the Gladstone Hotel (dating from 1888) and Gladstone Avenue in that city. However, Canada has probably not witnessed such scenes of adulation for an elected politician — not even when John Diefenbaker was at his most popular — as did Swansea during his 1887 visit there.
(3) Ralph A. Giffiths, Singleton Abbey and the Vivians of Swansea, Swansea: Gomer Press, 1988, p. p. 47-48.
Also worth seeing
Swansea Castle, in Downtown Swansea dates from the 12th century; visible remains date from the late 13th or early 14th century.
Oystermouth Castle, Mumbles, Swansea is a ruined Norman structure dating from the 11h century, situated near the scenic Gower Peninsula.
Afan Forest Park, Visitor Centre and South Wales Miners Museum (distance: approx. 27 kilometres) contains many, scenic walks, with copious local information.
Castell Coch, Tongwynlais (distance: 63 kilometres) a striking, hillside castle, built in the 19th century on the site of Medieval fortifications.
Llandaff Cathedral, Llandaff , Cardiff (distance: 67 kilometres) is a 12th century structure with a landmark spire.
How to get there: United Airlines flies to London Heathrow Airport , from where car rental is available. London Heathrow is 286 kilometres from Swansea. There are also rail (from London Paddington railroad station) and bus links to Swansea. Please note that some facilities may be withdrawn, without notice. Please check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting Singleton Abbey and Park at Swansea University, Wales: historic setting for an institution
Historical accounts of Singleton Abbey and its Park and their associations with prominent personalities read like a cross-section of United Kingdom history
- Visiting Swansea, Wales, and its Guildhall and Brangwyn Hall: Neo-Classicism and Art Deco monumental
This imposing civic building is currently the headquarters of the City and County of Swansea (Welsh: Abertawe ), in Glamorgan (Welsh: Morgannwg ), Wales (Welsh: Cymru ). The building incorporates the Brangwyn Hall (Welsh: Neuadd y Brangwyn ), a...
- Visiting Wales's Swansea Castle: imposing, late 13th or early 14th century ruins
Old and new are juxtaposed at Swansea Castle (Welsh: Castell Abertawe ) and the BT Tower ('British Telecommunications Tower'), at Swansea (Welsh: Abertawe ), Wales (Welsh: Cymru ). Whether this is aesthetically good, bad or indifferent, the visitor..
- Visiting Rhossili, on the Gower Peninsula, Swansea, Wales: spectacular Worm's Head: promontory or is
Flag of Wales FlagPictures.org Worm's Head at Rhossili 'User:Rodw', public domain, wikimedia.org Worm's Head, at Rhossili (Welsh: Rhosili ), near Swansea (Welsh: Abertawe )(1), Wales, is sometimes described as a promontory and sometimes as an...
- Visiting Pennard Castle, near Swansea, Wales: late 13th or early 14th century clifftop ruins
A castle and its setting are two distinct aspects. It is their combination, however, that can make for a really memorable impression. Thus, few castles have such an advantageous setting as does Pennard Castle (Welsh: Castell Pennard), near Swansea...
More by this Author
Step into the city of Cahors in the French department of Lot, and it is like a step back into the Middle Ages. The Valentré bridge has linked the two banks of the Lot River since the 14th century. It is...
Close to the Medieval Pont Valentré, Cahors Station building is a striking neo-Classical structure which dates from the early part of the 3rd French Republic.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.