- Pets and Animals
5 Ways to Know You Have too Many Cats
How to Spot Cats. #54 the Himalayan
Does your vet drive a Lamborghini?
Some people seem to think that cats are some sort of dog that's really good at climbing things; they're not. They're aliens from another galaxy come to enslave the world. But they're quite engaging and cute. Except, of course, when they're sinking their claws into your jugular and eating your cheeseburgers.
If you're some sort of dog-centric person, you probably ought to stop reading now. This'll be like Sanskrit, I think. Maybe not. You may be able to use it during your intervention with your crazy cat-person neighbor. They don't have friends, I know; they only have cats.
1) You have so many cats you can't name them all. Ok, we have Peter, and Eddie, and Annabelle, and Minkus, and the Her Cat, and Rosie, the Red Cat, and Foot, the Polydactic, and Minnie, the Giant, and um, let's look around, who am I missing, ummmm, yeah. Oh, Sydney Vicious, known as The Squid (her Mafia name), who's the baby and quite, well, vicious.
2) You have litter boxes in multiple rooms. This can also have social consequences: sure, we can have a dinner party. Let's move all the litter boxes out of the kitchen and into, um, the living room? You also begin to think of cleaning the litterboxes in terms of how many pounds of filth you remove daily.
3) While looking at your long-haired cats, you begin to wonder if you can harvest their fur. My wife knits and crochets, she spins, she's just generally crafty. When she starts spinning wool, I look at it and go, hmm, those two Himalayans we've got...they've got long-stapel wool in attractive creamy colors. They would make nice socks.
4) Rugs and carpets become a necessity in your home with antique, thoroughly refinished, oak floors. Without rugs, the hair floats everywhere uncontained. It takes two Dysons to control the crazyness. Each carpet takes more than one dumping of the cannister to complete the cleaning. Once again, you stare at the hair and think, hmm, we could card and spin this stuff.
5) It becomes difficult to do anything. You sit down, cats come to you. You walk into a room, cats follow you. You try to write a new hub and cats try and help. However, Rosie's typing of "011100111110" made no sense to me. I don't read cat translated into binary.
Now don't get me wrong, I love our cats. They are our children. We didn't go out and say to some breeder, "Cats, give me a cord or bushel or whatever measure of cats is the largest." Most of them wandered up and adopted us. Then we rescued our super fuzzy brand-name cats. Designer cats are rather fun, but they do come with built in problems. It's like keeping a tiny group of Hapsburgs in your house; yes, they are royalty, but they're so inbred that they're their own fathers and mothers. It is like parthenogenetic breeding.