- Pets and Animals
Bone Appetit! A Gluten-Free Dog Treat Recipe
Learn how to make dog treats! These tasty cheese-based treats are approved by veterinarians and dogs alike.
You can complete this recipe in about 30 minutes with baking time included. If you adjust the recipe to make gluten-free dog biscuits, you'll need another 10-20 minutes for baking.
- Mixing bowl or food processor
- Large spoon
- Rolling pin
- Cookie sheet
- Cookie cutters. Alternatively, cut out dog bone shapes, hearts, etc. with a knife.
- A wire cooling rack
Ingredients for Dog Biscuits
- 2 cups of soy flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 1/2 tbsp water (more if needed)
Cookie Cutters on Amazon
How to Make Dog Biscuits
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Mix everything but the water in a bowl or food processor until the mixture is consistent and coarse. Then add water slowly until you create a dough ball.
- Roll the dough to 1/2" thick. Cut out approximately 12 dog biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- Transfer the dog cookies to a wire rack for cooling.
Biscuits should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated.
Gluten-Free Dog Biscuit Recipe
For gluten-free dog biscuits, substitute wheat flour with one of the following:
- rye flour
- oat flour
- potato flour
- cooked rice
- cooked oats
- ground nuts and seeds
You can also add a teaspoon of baking soda to add fluffiness. Bake the gluten-free biscuits until the bottoms are slightly browned.
Homemade Dog Food Recipe Books
Recommended for You
- Veggie Recipes for Cats & Dogs
Get easy tips about veggie food for cats and dogs. There's also a veggie recipe for puppies and links to additional homemade pet food recipes.
- Homemade Frozen Dog Treats
Instructions on how to make homemade
- Diabetic Dog Food - What Should My Dog Eat Now?
Dogs' diabetes can often be managed with exercise and proper diet. What diabetic dog food should you choose?