Cats vs. Dogs: A Cat-Lover's Viewpoint
Which Is Better--Cats or Dogs?
I ask this question rhetorically, for I know better than to actually inquire. Outside of religion or politics, there is probably no other subject so likely to stir up debate and strong feelings on one or the other side of the issue.
Statistically, cats are more popular, with more cats being owned than dogs, and with a slim majority of cat-owning households having more than one cat. However, I believe those figures are extrapolations of some sort, for as far as I know, there is no decennial census taken of pets as with people.
Besides, as Mark Twain said, in defining various kinds of lies, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."
I present to you, then, (with some trepidation, aware that I may cause a flame war) my own considered opinion as to why I prefer cats.
Top Ten Reasons Cats are Better Than Dogs:
(With thanks to David Letterman for the concept.)
Here then, is my list of "top ten reasons" cats are better than dogs:
10. Cats won't chew up your slippers
9. Cats don't tip over, scatter and eat from the garbage
8. Cats don't generally need baths
7. Cats don't need to be taken for walks in nasty weather
6. Cats are natural-born comedians, but manage to look dignified in the process
5. Cats won't wake or annoy the neighbors by barking
4. Cats are happy with simple toys and will amuse themselves without destroying the place
3. Cats are soft and cuddly
2. Cats greet you with love, but don't slobber all over your face in the process
And the number one reason cats are better than dogs:
1. Cats love to be petted and will reward you with a beautiful, soothing purr-song.
Be Nice, Please...
As I mentioned in my first section, I realize there are strong feelings on both sides. This is intended all in fun, so please, don't make inflammatory comments.
The truth be told, I love dogs, (and most other animals), too. I just no longer have the physical ability to keep up with a dog's needs.
When our last dog passed away in 2004, we decided then that as we were "getting older," we should stick to our kitties from there on out. Cats are easier; dogs are much more high-maintenance.
Where Do You Stand?
Are you a "cat person" or a "dog person"?
Cats as Comedians
All still photos by Liz Elias © 2011 & 2012
© 2012 Liz Elias