- Pets and Animals»
- Cats & Cat Breeds
Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Kitty Litter Review - House Training Your Kitten Made Easy
Weighing in just under a pound, this feisty, seven week old male kitten - that we have endearingly named Smokey- has recently become a fun loving addition to our family.
As cute and cuddly as he is, no amount of research prepared me for the huge responsibility and the massive amount of work that goes into the care of and the house training of a kitten.
He was extremely nervous the first night in his new home - and rightly so. In addition to being taken from his mother and sibling, he had been thrust into a new environment and surrounded by unfamiliar sounds, sights and smells.
Due to his nervousness, Smokey clung to me for dear life and would neither eat nor drink on his own for the first 18 hours - forcing me to feed him Whiskars® cat milk through a medicine dropper.
Fortunately, once the first 24 hours were over, things improved immensely. Once things began to improve, it was down to the fun part - house-training.
* Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Kitty Litter to the Rescue!
I have never owned a cat much less a kitten before, so I am definitely not an expert concerning the proper and successful house-training of these fascinating and curious-by-nature creatures.
Fortunately, our Smokey's veterinarian did reassure us that kittens possess an instinctive desire to dig, are creatures of habit, and are much easier to house-train than dogs. Therefore, our basic responsibilities entailed providing them with a safe and consistent place to defecate and urinate.
While I incorporated "the rules of house-training a kitten 101," I found that my job became much easier when I incorporated Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Kitty Litter® to the mix.
Suggested by one of the helpful associates at Pet-Co; due to its special formula; Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Kitty Litter® is the perfect solution for quickly and successfully house-training a kitten.
With the help of this product, I had Smokey successfully using his litter box on his own in under a week!
Don't forget the pooper scooper!
* The Unique Formula That Makes It so Effective.
What makes Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Kitty Litter® so effective, is its unique natural herb blend that literally attracts kittens to their litter box. Just imagine it as kitty litter catnip - that is just how enticing it is.
In addition, the texture of the kitty litter is just right for the delicate paws of small kittens and in the event it is ingested; is delicate on the kitten's stomach. It is made from all natural ingredients and is 99.5% dust free.
With its superior clumping ability and natural chlorophyll odor control, it is a litter box training tool must have.
* Here's a quick tip: since there is a huge chance that your kitten will consume some of the kitty litter, place a handful of Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Kitty Litter® in the bottom of the litter box and cover it up with newspaper. The smell will still attract the kitten to the box but will reduce their chance of consuming the kitty litter or consuming less of it.
More tools you will need for successfully housetraining your new kitten
* Tips for Effectively House-training a Kitten.
In every bag of Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Kitty Litter®, is a small booklet that provides the kitten owner with great basic tips regarding successfully house-training a new kitten.
Entitled Dr. Elsey's Litter Box Solutions, here are a few tips that I found successful:
- Provide your kitten with an easily accessible litter box - choose one that is low enough for them to step in and out of and avoid hooded litter boxes.
- Always use Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Kitty Litter® as a kitty litter starter. Avoid using cedar-based or perfume litters with your new kitten - many kittens find the smell aversive.
- Since "kittens have a natural elimination reflex after eating", put them in their litter box after they finish eating.
- Never move their paws back and forth (stimulating digging and covering over their elimination) for them once they are set in litter box. They will instinctively pick this up in time.
- Offer your kitten treats when after they make a successful elimination in their litter box.
- Since your cat's sense of smell is 1000 times better than yours, keep the litter box thoroughly cleaned of fecal and urine matter every day, and replace the litter with fresh litter weekly. Keep the area around the litter box clean as well.
- Kittens do not possess the bladder control of mature cats, so be sure to place a litter box near by. Thereby preventing unnecessary accidents from having to travel too far.
- Since "stress is a leading cause of litter box problems," reduce your kitten's stress by setting aside at least 15 minutes a day for playtime, providing plenty of toys to stimulate his or hers interest, providing a litter box in an area that will not be bothered by toddlers or aggressive cat - if their are multiple cats in the home -, keeping the box away from bright lights, loud noises, as well as vibrations from washing machine or furnaces.
- Never place a litter box near your kitten's food and water dish.
- In the event your kitten defecates or urinates outside of his/her litter box, be sure to thoroughly clean the spot, eliminating any trace of odor. This will prevent your kitten from returning to the same spot.
- Choose a dry cat food that is formulated especially for a kittens delicate digestive system (such as Nutro Natural Choice®- that uses only natural ingredients). Thereby promoting easier elimination.
* Here's a quick tip: while there are several ways to remove cat urine and feces from carpeting, I found that scrubbing the area with dish-washing liquid and water, followed immediately by saturating the area with baking soda for ten-to fifteen minutes, and then vacuuming was very effective. If this does not work, use Dr. Elsey's Urine Removal Program®.
If you are in the market for a great kitty litter that simplifies house training your new kitten, is all natural, is safer on your kitten's stomach, is gentle on their feet, possesses superior clumping quality, and provides superior odor control, then Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Kitty Litter® is the perfect solution for you.
Buy it online or at your local pet store and incorporate it in house training your new kitten. Using this products is definitely house training your kitten made easy!