From the parrot's beak: 12/13 edition
- Feathers and Lacey: The US Fish & Wildlife Service has reportedly created for iself a fast track for declaring certain species as "injurious wildlife".as part of the so-called Lacey Act, under which, importation and interstate transport of animal species determined to be injurious is prohibited without a federal permit. Many pet bird owners maintain such restrictions are onerous and arbitrary. Quaker parrots, which have adapted as ferals in much of the USA, are considered by some to be an agricultural pest and one potential target of the Lacey Act.
- Parrot daily to do list posted on Facebook includes pooping, throwing things on the floor, screaming my head off and biting my owner (it's a control thing). They do have some good points as well, which is why they make good pets for some people, as long as those people know what they're getting in to!
- Psittacine cinema: ACTP Movie Spix (English) -- Yeah, Disco Baby! -- Farmers working to save the turquoise parrot in north ... - ABC
- First the bad news: Thirteen orange-bellied parrots have died in recent weeks at Victoria's Healesville Sanctuary in Australia. contaminated feed is suspected.
- Now the good news: Sadly, a devastating fire destroyed much of the area inhabited by the shrinking population of western ground parrots in Australia. Just before the fires, however; a male and female western ground parrot were brought to the Perth Zoo in the hopes of establishing a captive breeding program. m
- Tasteful parrot joke: Four successful adult brothers chatted about the birthday gifts they's give to their 95 year old elderly mother. The first said, "I had a big house built for her." The second said,"I had a large theater built in the house." The third said, "I had a Mercedes SL600 delivered to her."The fourth said, "Mama loves the Bible and can't read anymore because she can't see very well. I heard about a parrot who could recite the entire Bible. It took ten preachers almost 8 years to teach him. I had to pledge to contribute $50,000 a year for five years to the church, but it was worth it." After the celebration Mama sent out her "Thank You" notes. She wrote: "Milton , the house you built is so huge that I live in only one room. Thanks anyway." "Marvin, I am too old to travel, so I never use the Mercedes. The thought was good. Thanks.""Michael, all of my friends are dead, I've lost my hearing, and I'm nearly blind. I'll never use the theater. Thank you for the gesture just the same." "Dearest Melvin, thank you for giving a little thought to your gift. The chicken was delicious. Love, Mama."
- Warning: Those "Bird Protectors" that are little cans that attach to the side of bird cages are suspected in the illness of some pet birds, and some bird experts recommend against the use of these as well as mite and lice sprays. These parasites will rarely occur in birds mainly kept inside anyway.
- Kid stuff: About Us - Parrot Fun Zone, an educational site for parrot loving kids of all ages -- Teens between 13 and 17 can take a fun, silly or just plain adorable picture of their pet and upload it to The American Automobile Association site to enter. Best picture each month winner will receive a $200 American Express® Gift Card and may even be featured in an upcoming INsider Newsletter and on the INsider website.
- Counting the days: The 2016 Midwest Adoption & Rescue Services (MAARS) calendars are now for sale and ready to ship. All proceeds go to bird care so it can be a donation and a gift in one.
- Lost: Grey cockatiel 'Zazu' Binghamton, NY (607) 427-1253.
- Hot dates:
12/11-12: Florida Canary Fanciers 19th Annual Show - Ramada Gateway Hotel, 7470 Highway 192 W., Kissimmee, FL - Fri 9- 5, Sat 8-6 - 912-344-7196 -
12/12: Bird Mart 9-4. Grapevine Convention Center, 1209 South Main St., Pet birds welcome; nail and wing trimming available. Grapevine TX
Sex & the Single Bird class. 11 a.m. Parrot University. Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville NC
Boredom Busters: Environmental Enrichment Essentials class. Our jobs, as their caretakers, is to make life fun, intriguing, challenging and active! Michelle Underhill has lots of great ideas about how to provide enriched environments. 10-12. Grace Presbyterian Church. 7434 Bath St., Springfield, VA
Parrot 101 class. 2 p.m. Parrot University. Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville NC
12/13: The Contented Companion class. Explore some ideas for meeting our parrots’ many needs, including tips for keeping those bird-brains thinking and engaged. [satisfies Phoenix Landing adoption process requirement] 1-3. Pender Exotics Veterinary Centre, 4001 Legato Rd, Fairfax, VA
12/19: Volunteer orientation, Parrot University 1 pm, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
12/20: Positive reinforcement, Parrot University 2 pm, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC