- Pets and Animals»
From the parrot's beak: Oct. 9 edition
- Fade to Grey: The African grey parrot has been uplisted to Appendix I by Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). The 95-35 vote passed with support from Gabon, Nigeria and other countries the bird is endemic to. world Parrot Trust petitioned for and supports the move."Conservationists are celebrating a huge victory for African gray parrots who are now one of the world’s most heavily trafficked birds," says supportive website Care2 Causes.American Federation for Aviculture tends to discourage this type of legislation; claiming it puts up barriers to legal breeding/export of captive raised birds which will ironically increase the value of poached birds. Furthermore, (as they continue) there will be pressure on US Fish and Wildlife Service to add African greys to the US Endangered Species Act listings, making it illegal to possess them in 26 states.The African grey is extremely popular as it is widely acknowledged to be the best talker of the parrot world. Alex, perhaps the most famous parrot in history; arguably demonstrated that African greys can literally comprehend much human speech, thanks to the work of Dr. Irene Pepperberg.
- A Pot in Every Parrot: Marijuana (or any other kind of) smoke can be harmful; even fatal to pet birds. However, it's not reefer madness to state that in other forms, marijuana has some beneficial medicinal properties for birds. Eating marijuana, aka hemp, seeds is a great way to get nutrients and bolster the immune system. Animal-safe weed products contain extremely low levels of THC, and are mostly made of CBD (cannabidiol), a non-toxic extract that is not psychoactive and does not produce a high. CBD for pets comes in a variety of forms including bird seed - and in fact, hemp seeds are a staple part of many commercial bird food mixes. .Still undetermined is whether or not hemp consumption will give Polly the "munchies".
- Pscittacine cinema:But I don't want to wake up! Lazy parrot refuses to get out of bed - YouTube
- Free house and land in “paradise” offered: Says current owner Harry Kunz..“Flocks of rainbow lorikeets come down, you have breakfast with the animals, it’s a beautiful place.” he continues. The hitch? You have to continue caring for more than 1,200 injured or orphaned native animals taken in by the Eagle's Nest Sanctuary in Queensland, Australia every year. Kunz turned down a $100,000 a year offer from drug dealers to scrap the shelter and start a plantation on the remote property Kunz says it would be best run by a small team of passionate animal lovers, ideally a couple or family.
- Pet Friendly Shelter for Florida Hurricane::Estero Recreation Center, 9200 Corkscrew Palms Blvd, Estero. There has been a call for evacuation at the Jacksonville Beach. Exotic Bird hospital was built to withstand category 3 hurricanes and is currently open and accepting all boarding reservations. Call (904) 256.0043.
- Tasmanian Deviltry: The estimated 2000 critically endangered swift parrots that remain in the wild are under a new threat. A patch of forest at Buckland, in southern Tasmania, used as a breeding ground for the parrot has been targeted by illegal wood cutters. "When I turned up on site, there was two cars worth of blokes standing around the base of one of my nest trees, and I could hear the chainsaws actually running out the window of my car when I arrived," says researcher Dejan Stojanovic. "Since 2010, of the 18 nest trees that I've been monitoring with motion-activated cameras, 10 of them have been cut down."
- Hey, Abbotti!: Endangered abbotti cockatoos get a new 3893 square meter home on Masakambing Island with goodies like coconut, mango, papaya, banana, cashew and many other plants; as well as cotton silk trees for nest sites. The purchase was made by he Indonesian Parrot Project.
- Yoohoo, Lou: "I worked in a pet store for 7 yrs. After I left, Lou came in as a baby and became the 'store' bird because he was mean to most people. He hated me at first but I loved him and within time he bonded with me. I visited him every week for years. ... the pet store was closing and offered him to me but I wasn't able to at the time ":Fast forward 6 yrs. "I was looking at birds on petfinder and this rescue 2 1/2 hrs away had a military macaw. I knew it was him the instant I saw him!! Contacted them and it was him! Drove down to see him and was told he probably won't remember you. The moment he saw me and heard my voice he started going nuts to get out of his cage to get to me. 2 more trips and he came home with me." from Facebook.
- Quote o' the Week: Rescuing one parrot will not change the world but it will change the world for that one parrot. - From a Tshirt.
- Super easy way to help animals, including Arya the cockatiel, now under the care of the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Post a picture of your pet and use the hashtag #snelovespets. Set privacy to public and Subaru of New England will donate $5 to the #MSPCA.
- Has your adopted pet changed your life? Share your story (including photos and/or video) with Petco's Holiday Wishes Campaign Deadline 10/15.\In addition to a $100,000 grand prize, the Petco Foundation will award $750,000 in grants to animal welfare organizations, and Petco will award $7,000 in total of gift cards for the winning stories. Deadline 10/15.
- Hot Dates: 10/7-10: Parrot Palooza 2016-Bird Paradise, Guest speaker. Dr. Laurie Hess. New Jersey Bird Man show, zoo animals. Photo, pumpkin carving, toy penguin races and other contests; DJ, sales, DIY toy making, food and more. 551 E. Rt. 130 South, Burlington, NJ -Fri 9-9, Sat 10-9, Sun 10-5, Mon 9-9
10/8-9: New England Cockatiel Breeders & Exhibitors Fall Quad Show-American Legion, 662 W Shore Road, Warwick, RI -10-5
10/8: International Canary and Finch Society Day with the Birds- Pvt. Leonard Post, Jr. VFW #6251, 2450 Walden Ave., Cheektowaga, NY -9-3 -- Rhode Island Budgerigar Society 61st Annual Show-Howard Rogers Post #25, 25 McCallum Ave., Pawtucket, RI -1:30-3 -- Solutions for Biting and Aggressive Behavior in Companion Parrots webinar with Barbara Heidenreich. Includes optional 30 minutes Q & A and access to a recorded version.
10/9: Picnic with the Parrots. 4th annual So Cal Parrot open house/fundraiser. Tour unique urban wild parrot rescue sanctuary; chat with volunteers about all things parrot. Bring your family, friends, and a picnic along! $10 suggested donation @ the gate. 11-4 PDT 3621 Hidden Ridge Rd. Jamul, CA. -- Catskill Exotic Bird Club 24th Annual Pet Bird Show-Liberty Firehouse, 256 Sprague Ave., Liberty, NY -10-4 -- Avian Health and Medicine class. 2 pm. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
10/10-12: International Association of Avian Trainers and Educators symposium. Zoomarine, Portugal.
10/15-16: 57th Canadian National Cage Bird Show & Expo hosted by BFBS-Richmond Green Sports Centre, 1300 Elgin Mills Road E., Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada -Sat 11-4, Sun 9:30-3:30 -- -- Smoky Mountain Cage Bird Society Show-Collett Street Rec. Center, 300 Collett St., Morganton, NC Sat 9-5, Sun 10-5-- 2 Day Parrot Training Workshop Karlsruhe, Germany Hosted by Parrots Parcel featuring Barbara Heidenreich.
10/15: Baltimore Bird Fanciers 76th Annual Bird Show & Mart-Baltimore Travel Plaza, 5625 O'Donnell St., Baltimore, MD 9-4 pm -- Massachusetts Cage Bird Association 100th Anniversary Show-Liberal Club, 20 Star St., Fall River, MA -10-4 -- Smoky Mountain Cage Bird Society Show-Collett Street Rec. Center, 300 Collett St., Morganton, NC Sat 9-5, Sun 10-5 -- Parrot University Volunteer Orientation 10-12, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC --Things I Wish I'd Known class 10-12, Hampstead Public Library, 75 Library Dr., Hampstead, NC -- Nourish to Flourish class. 10-12. The Landing. 31 Landing Place, Alexander, MC.
10/16: Exotic Bird Events Inc - The largest “All Exotic Bird Event” in Florida – Sunday 9am – 4pm – Admission $5 Children under 10 FREE Admission fee includes one free door prize ticket per admission. Central Florida Fairground 4603 W Colonial Dr., Orlando, FL -- Positive Reinforcement class. Parrot University. 2 pm, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
- Lost Green quaker parrot 'Joey' Very friendly. IReward offered. (347) 630-7860. -- Found Green and yellow parakeet, tagged on left leg and very tame. Presently at Parrots of the World on Sunrise Highway in Rockville Centre (store phone #516 764-0717).