How to train a cat to give the paw
What you need
1. A Cat
2. Some treats
Mori, the wonder cat
Its fairly easy to train your cat, they are very clever animals who learn new things quickly. Below are a few simple steps to follow.
- Find a treat your cat really enjoys (chicken pieces work well!)
- Get your timing right! Training sessions should take place when the cat is awake and alert, and should last about five minutes
- Hold out the treat and let your cat see it
- Raise the treat above the cats head, this will automatically encourage them to sit
- Gently take a hold of your cats paw and lift it in your hand while saying the command 'Paw'
- Give the cat the treat immediately (note: you can also use a clicker, clicking as soon as you say the command and lift the paw and following up with the treat)
- Repeat, always lifting the cats paw and using the same command.
- After several attempts try holding out your hand and saying the command, 'Paw', if the cat doesn't give the paw immediately then gently lift her paw again
- Be patient! You cat will probably learn this very quickly, but some take longer than others!
More Cat Tricks
Once your furry feline is happily giving the paw on command it's easy to teach her to 'give five', or play patty cake, turn or beg, have fun with training! You will be amazed at all the things she can do.