Komondor Dog Breed: Facts, Pictures & Information
Komondor aka Mop Dog
- Originally from area around Hungary, highly valued by Magyar shepherds.
- Bred for livestock protection (fought off wolves and other predators).
- Earliest documented komondors date to 1544, but definitely existed prior to that.
- 1933: komondors came to america, where they have been used successfully for protection.
- Can exceed 30 inches in height.
- Socialization is essential.
- Requires daily exercise.
- Will rest in day, constantly patrolling at night.
- Usually knocks down intruders and pins them until owner arrives.
- Has been used effectively to protect livestock from wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars, and other predators.
- Dangerous without obedience training (they take well to training as long as it is started at a young age 4-8 months).
- Does not like warm weather (look at all those cords!)
- Nonshedding, tendency for dirtiness (dirt stuck in locks).
- If gets wet, can take a whole day to dry.
- Locks form around 2 years old.
- Life span 10-12 years.
- Except in Hungary, komondors are an uncommon breed.
- Thinks for itself.
- Authoritative, controlling.
- Will dominate if given the chance.
- Good with other pets and especially good with livestock.
- Happy watching over things.
- Usually calm and quiet, but courageous.
- Natural guardian, protective.
- Can be rough, not best near children it doesn't know (protective of owner's children).