Proper Maintenance Techniques for your Pet Grooming Tools
We groom our pets to look clean, healthy and beautiful. We want them to be as happy as we are and to be comfortable with us. We also do this to earn their love and sympathy and to keep them in order. When we earn their respect and trust, we will get something in return. They will grow to be a respectful and well-disciplined pet as we have wished for. To maintain this good relationship with our pets, we also have to consider some more important things like maintaining the tools and things they use like grooming tools, food bowls and plates, beds, houses, etc.
This article will give you some techniques to keep your pet grooming tools always clean and pet friendly. I hope you will like it and that you will apply new learning acquired from it.
Steps in Cleaning Your Dog Combs
- Get a basin or a container or use the sink as container for hot water and add enough amounts of bleach and soap.
- Soak the set of combs and wait for 10-20 minutes. Get a soft brush or washing cloth and clean dirt inserted in between teeth combs.
- Wash with warm water and dry combs with cloth or simply sun dry them. Drying your combs under the sun will also help disinfect them.
How to Clean the Dog Hair Brushes
- Dog hair brushes or slicker brushes are harder to clean than combs. You need to remove hairs that were stuck in the brush first while it is dry.
- By using a container filled with hot water added with an amount of soap or bleach, soak the hair brush for 10-20 minutes. Do not use bleach extensively if your pet is not sick because it might also cause them irritation. Bleaches are recommended for pets who are ill to disinfect the tools especially if you are using them on other pets too.
- Use a soft brush, washing cloth or your bare hand to rub excess dirt then wash the brushes with warm water to rinse.
Dry the brushes with dry cloth or by letting it dry under the sun or by using a blow dryer. Make sure that no excess water will be left especially on brushes made of stainless steel or other metal materials.
What is your favorite bonding activity with your pet?
Steps in Cleaning Dog Clippers
For dog hair clippers:
- Remove the clipper blades by using the instructions given on your manual. Make sure not to injure yourself as these blades are sharp enough to cut your skin.
- Clean the blades by using a blower or if it comes with a cleaning brush like Legendog’s cordless pet clippers, use the brush to remove first dog hairs.
- Carefully use the cleaning brush to remove all stuck hairs. If it cannot be removed through brushing, you can dip it with hot water and soap too for a lesser time from 5-10 minutes then remove and dip it with plain warm water to rinse. Use a soft brush to clean dirt then simply dry the blades throroughly with blower.
- Use the oil or coolant you prefer to maintain its sharpness and to avoid rusting.
For dog nail clippers and scissors:
- After every use, make sure to clean the dog nail clippers and scissors to disinfect them ready for the next use.
- Likewise, soak the utensils on a hot water and soap or bleach mixture in a basin or the sink or any container.
- Let it stay there for 20-30 minutes then rinse with warm water.
- Dry the nail clippers and scissors with cloth and disinfect them with alcohol. Use a tissue or a cotton cloth to do this. You may not do this if you have already disinfected it with bleach.
- Let the grooming tools dry by putting it under the sun.
- Store the clippers and scissors in a clean bag and make sure to keep it out of reach of children.