ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Pets and Animals»
  • Animal Rights & Welfare

The Truth About Animal Testing

Updated on March 6, 2014
Source

"Ask experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: ‘Because the animals are like us.’ Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: ‘Because the animals are not like us’

Charles Magel, a professor at Moorhead State University and author of several animal right books once stated: “Ask experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: ‘Because the animals are like us.’ Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: ‘Because the animals are not like us’”. Arguments for animal testing are inconsistent and completely contradictory. People continuously state that animal testing is solely for the benefit of society, but the benefits have yet to be seen.

Animal testing is often rationalized to be acceptable because it is "mostly" used for medical purposes, but this statement is incorrect. According to Aboutmyplanet.com, a mere 6% of all animal testing is medical while the other 94% is for cosmetic and household product uses. Animals are being wrongly mistreated for humanities vain desires. Rabbits are blind from excessive amounts of irritation solely for the purpose of a bottle of mascara. Many of the tests used are not even required by law, and are even funded through taxes. Animal experimentation is unnecessary and yet it is still being used despite the cruelty of it.

Source

Some animals are bred with the sole intention of experimentation. These animals do not see anything outside of their cage, and are forced to live not only short but miserable lives. One test, known as the LD50 test, is done with death as the main objective. Animals are given various amounts of whatever substance is being tested so that experimenters can discover what dosage it takes for the substance to become lethal. Other tests that are conducted irritate both the skin and eyes of the subjects. For any surviving animals there are long term negative effects from testing that was done. Reproductive, cardiovascular, respiratory, and many of the other systems in the body have possibilities of being permanently damaged throughout experimentation.

On the homepage for PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, it stated: “More than 100 million animals every year suffer and die in cruel chemical, drug, food, and cosmetic tests, biology lessons, medical training exercises and curiosity-driven medical experiments”. All the pain that these animals suffer does not even mean anything, because animal testing has a very low success rate. According to the Huntingdon Life Sciences, only 5-25% of the animal testing agrees with human biology. Many animals are killed and their deaths are in vain because they do not even contribute to human medical studies. Less than 2% of all human diseases are ever even seen in animals, so testing animals to look for cures is completely irrelevant to a solution.

Currently, more than 450 methods have been discovered that can successfully replace animal testing. It is time for people to start working towards the extinction of animal experimentation. If it were humans being tested the reaction would have been much more drastic, but the life of one creature is no more significant than another. Animals have a right to live freely, just as humans do. “If you don’t think its okay to use it on yourself how is it okay to use it on an animal?” questioned Aspen Donnelly, FHS junior and member of PETA, when asked her opinion on animal testing. Animal experimentation simply cannot be tolerated. If it were a human that were being tested upon against their will, experimenters would face murder charges and yet there are no charges to be associated with animal testing.

Source

The brutality of animal experimentation must come to an end, at any and all cost. Help to end the brutal slaughtering of animals cause from experimentation, not support it. British animal rights activist, president and co-founder of PETA Ingrid Newkirk states: “We have to be aggressive when those we stick up for have no voice. I don’t consider it radical to say cruelty is wrong and that animals should be respected. I consider it radical to eat corpses, put electrodes in animals’ heads, make elephants live in chains in the circus, and poison animals we consider a nuisance.” Humanity needs to gain compassion and empathy for the creatures it is torturing, and put an end to horrendous massacre of animals.

What do your purchases say about you?

Do you check the labels on products, to see if they have been tested on animals, before you buy them?

See results

Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.