Train your dog, and teach them to be calm and obedient!
Some tips to make your dog a better pet.
Exercises in dog training-
1. When giving your pup a treat give them one word when doing so, like "treat" or "bone". Then get him or her to sit and the shake "hands". TIP: Push the back end down until they sit if you must.
2. This is important and will make a noticeable difference! When you feed your dog (do so twice a day, morning and night time), put the dog food in the dish and make them sit in a spot about 5-15 ft. away. Hold your dog and do not let them go to the dish until you give a key word like "OK" or "Now". Do this every time they eat! Soon you won't need to hold your friend. You will be able to point to the place, throw rug, or spot they are to sit on, before you give the word for them to go eat. Why do this? It took the aggression out of my Duke and my Godchildren could grab his ears and take his bones away when they were babies! It calmed him down and took away his animal instincts...well the aggressive ones toward people anyways. He would wait for 10 or more minutes if I wanted him to. That is not necessary though. Make them wait for one or two minutes. Tip: Pet them as soon as they get to the dish, praise them, and then leave them alone to eat.
3. Once your dog appears to love treats, start to call them by name and say "come". Hold the treat up when you call them and back away as they come to you. Eventually, give them the treat, but give yourself enough time time call and say come several times.
4. When you are telling them to sit, come, lay, use a hand single for each command. I raised my hand to tell him to sit, lowered it for him to lay and touched my chest to tell him to come. This makes for a smarter dog and is useful if you are training them for hunting.
5. Try to pick a one word or one sylibal name, and try to use one word commands. Say "sit", not "hey you, sit down" and "come" not "o.k. get over here". The simpler you keep it, the easier it is for them to learn! TIP: Use one word and the same word every time! Do not say get over here one day and come here the next. Its too confusing.
6. Praise them when they are good and speak gruffly when they are bad. Do not hit your dog! They are trying to please you, even if it doesn't seem so. Give them incentives, not beatings.Dogs have memories, and are very smart and emotional animals!
7. Have fun with your dog by finding a command for everything they do. Duke wanted to go out a lot and would moan by the door and pace, and so on. Once hit hit the loose door handle with his nose and it jingled a little. I thought that was cool, so I ask him"what do you have to do" and then took him for a walk. He did that with his nose almost every night, and company thought it was the funniest thing. That spawned a bunch of other crazy things he would do to get attention.
Enjoy your dog and remember, they do not speak English and will only learn what you teach them.
Feel free to ask any questions and I will reply below.
- Great pet ideas for college students and apartment dwellers.
This article will enable you to find the right pet for you!