What To Do If Your Dog Eats Gum
We all know that man’s best friends like to eat things they’re not supposed to. Some things are worse than others. But what if your little four legged friend gets into that pack of gum in your jacket pocket? I’ll let you know right now, it’s not a good thing.
Sometimes we have the idea in our heads that what is bad for us is bad for our pets, and what is not bad for us is not bad for our pets. But that is not the case. Gum is a very good example. Most sugar free gums contain Xylitol, an artificial sweetener. Xylitol is actually toxic to dogs, especially small dogs. Xylitol can drop your dog’s blood sugar levels as much as 50 points, which can cause liver disease and ultimately liver failure. So what do you do if your dog has eaten gum?
1. Call your veterinarian.
They will most likely tell you to make your dog vomit. But they may want to see your pet for further analysis.
2. Make your dog vomit.
A teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide should do the trick. Within 15 minutes your pooch should be getting all those toxins out of his or her tummy. But don’t freak out!! The label on the bottle says it’s toxic, but that is ONLY because it causes vomiting to occur.
3. Remove all gum from fur.
This is a task that will not be enjoyed by you or your dog, but it is a must. No need for scissors on this one really. A piece of ice should help you do the trick. Make sure you have all gum removed from fur before letting your dog loose. You don’t want them to get any more of the stuff.
4. Take your dog for a check up.
Even if your veterinarian does not feel the need to examine your dog shortly after the gum eating incident, schedule a check up, just to make sure everything is normal. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
5. Make sure all gum is put away.
Check jacket pockets, purses, and trash cans. Put packs of gum in drawers, in the inside zipper of your purse, or chewed gum in a trash can with a lid. Jacket and jeans pockets are the most common places dogs can find gum.