LisaKoski profile image 92

What is the best way to train a puppy to let you know when they need to go outside?

My puppy is about five months old and he seems to understand that he should do his business outside but doesn't seem to know how to let me know when he needs to go out. Whenever he has the occasional "accident" he tends to do it right in front of the front or back door. He's really quiet in general and never really cries or barks. I'm pretty sure he knows he's done wrong because he acts really guilty after he does it, even if I haven't noticed it yet. How can I train him to let me know when he needs to be let out?

agilitymach profile image98

Best Answer agilitymach says

• Julia Bentley profile image

Julia Bentley 3 years ago

You bring up a good point. I did not bell train one of my dogs because he paces in circles when he has to go out and the speed of his pacing indicates the level of urgency. The first dog I bell trained lived in an apartment where the primary door was

Relationshipc profile image89

Kari (Relationshipc) says

• Julia Bentley profile image

Julia Bentley 3 years ago

That method may work with smaller dogs, but a larger breed is likely to leave a mark even if they are gentle. My 60# Boxer occasionally gives our bedroom door a light scratch when he wants to come snuggle and our door shows it.

Julia Bentley profile image60

Julia Bentley says

• LisaKoski profile image

LisaKoski 3 years ago

My boyfriend loves that idea. I may just give it a shot if I can't learn to recognize his body language like agilitymatch says.

TheRaptorClaw profile image59

TheRaptorClaw says