- Pets and Animals
Celebrate Love Your Pet day!
Pets bring us unconditional love - why not love them back?
All pets are good for us - numerous studies have shown the health benefits of owning a pet.
Personally, I'm a dog person, although I've had a cat, uncounted goldfish, and a few anoles share my life. Each and every one has brought smiles and companionship - my fish even swam to the top to greet me! (I know - they probably just wanted food.)
So on February 20 - show your pets you appreciate their unconditional love and devotion! Spend some extra time letting them know how important they are in your life! Who else is always happy to see you? Never, ever rolls their eyes at you? Is always willing to play with you, walk with you, or just cuddle next to you on the couch for some down time?
Keep your pet healthy!
Count the ways you can show your pet your love!
- An extra treat! What's your pet's favorite food? My dogs love yogurt, so I put some plain or vanilla yogurt in ice cube trays and freeze them. On special days, they each get a yogurt cube and love it!
- An extra-long walk! Especially if the weather's nice, take your dog for an special walk -- not for exercise, not for training, not for any other reason but to spend some time together. Go to a favorite part and take your dog's favorite toy. An extra 10 minutes of fetch will show your dog how much you care!
- Go for a ride! My cat loved riding in the car. He would stand in the passenger seat with his front paws on the arm rest and watch everything out the window. He especially loved riding at night. So every once in a while, without "having" to take him anywhere, I would just take him for a ride. He loved it and I loved seeing him enjoy it!
- A new toy! Since I am co-owner of a shop that specializes in small dog stuff Golly Gear, my dogs could have new toys every day of the week. I don't do that. Instead, I leave only a few toys out at a time. The others are put away in a bin in the closet. When it's time for "new" toys - the dogs are all excited about going to the bin and picking a new toy. While they're busy "shopping," I grab a couple of toys that have been out and put them away. Everything old is new again!
- Cuddle! Instead of sitting in the chair for one - sit on the couch and invite the four-legged members of the family to share your tv time.
- Talk to them! There's no sound on earth your pet would rather hear than your voice.
Tips for training!
One of the best things you can do to show your love for your dog is to train her! Dogs love knowing what's expected of them and they love pleasing their people. Training helps form a wonderful bond and only takes a few minutes. And you'll love being able to take your well-mannered dog everywhere and showing off the wonderful tricks you've taught her.
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources
The Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) - Dog Training Resources is a professional organization of dog trainers who are committed to becoming better trainers through education.
- Say Yes Dog Training
Effective puppy training and dog obedience training should be fun for both the dog and the human! Imagine if you could create the dog of your dreams simply by “playing” with your dog every day!
- North Shore Dog Training Club
We train you to train your dog!
- Karen Pryor Clickertraining
We're here to help you raise a great dog.
© 2012 Hope