Dog Food Dangers: Protect Your Pet's Health
Do You Know What Is In Your Dog's Food?
It's too bad that you can't trust commercial food for your dog, but the fact is there have been a lot of problems ranging from poor nutritional value to foreign objects like pieces of metal in the food to serious health risks from contamination. Just check out the videos and list of recent dog food recalls below.
If you don't trust commercial dog food to properly nourish your puppy or dog, try making the treats and meals yourself. There's a wealth of cookbooks for dog owners to serve your pampered pup with the best and most nutritious food easily and economically.
Variety in your dog's meals not only keeps your pet from getting bored with the same food dumped from a can or scooped out of a bag, it also provides a wider range of nutrients.
No wonder many owners report improved health in their dog after they started making their own dog food. And it is easy, fun and rewarding to do.
Our Shih Tzu's allergies improved tremendously on a home-made diet made up mostly of turkey, sweet potatoes, eggs, brewers yeast, pumpkin, and spinach, alternated with recipes including other vegetables and beans.
To save time, we make large amounts and freeze the cooked food in individual portions. We also make and freeze snacks using recipes from the books we've included on this page. Take a look at the variety offered by these cookbooks for some foods that are nutritionally balanced and that dogs really love.
And don't forget to bookmark this page and check back since we regularly update the dog food recall list below.
The Latest Recall: Blue Ridge Beef
On December 12th 2016, Blue Ridge Beef issued a voluntary recall of Beef for Dogs 2 lb frozen chubs distributed in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, and Texas.
Testing by the FDA after a puppy's death revealed the presence of Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes. However, there is no direct evidence linking these illnesses and the dog’s death to the contaminated products.
If you have Blue Ridge Beef 2 lb frozen chubs with Lot #mfd ga8516 and UPC Code: 8542980011009, stop feeding it to your pets. Dispose of the product immediately or return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. If you have questions, email the manufacturer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The affected packages will have this code as described above:
Best By Date: APR 11 17
Lot Code: AH 2A 1208-1400
If you have questions about this dog food recall, please email Blue Ridge Beef at email@example.com
How Commercial Dog Food Is Made - Do you know what you are feeding your dog?
Make Healthy Foods for Your Dog
The Healthy Hound Cookbook: Over 125 Easy Recipes for Healthy, Homemade Dog Food--Including Grain-Free, Paleo, and Raw Recipes!
The recipes in this book really are quick and easy plus they are nutritionally balanced, free of fillers and additives, and use healthy, fresh ingredients from your kitchen. Just as people feel better with a healthy diet, so will your canine best friend.
You'll find more than 125 recipes including complete meals and treats like Oatmeal Turkey Dog Biscuits and Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Ice Cream. There's also information for special diets including grain-free, Paleo, and raw diets plus cooking techniques and a portion calculator to adjust serving sizes to each individual dog's needs.
You can freeze most of these dishes in portion sizes for taking on-the-go or for convenience. Try it and see the difference in your dog's health. Well worth the price and the little bit of time it takes to make your own dog food compared to what you will save in medications and trips to the vet.
Do you cook for your dog?
Do you make dog food for your pet?
Dog Nutrition and Choosing Food for a Dog
Our Favorite Dog Dish
An Exclusive Design
K9 QT Pi Dog Dish is available in two sizes.
Choose one or more for your pet for food and water.
More Recent Recalls of Commercial Dog Food
All information is from Manufacturer's News Releases and the Federal Food & Drug Administration (FDA). After the name of each product is the reason for the recall and the date recall was issued. The list is updated monthly and covers approximately one year, since expiration dates on these products extend one or two years into the future.
- Blue Buffalo voluntary recall of 30 lb Life Protection Formula Fish and Sweet Potato Recipe for Dogs (high moisture levels result in mold growth) with Lot Code AH 2A 1208-1400, UPC 8596100032 and a "Best by" date of April 11, 2017.
Smallbatch Pets Dog Food voluntary recall of 3 lb bags frozen dog Duckbatch Sliders (possible Salmonella and Listeria contamination) sold between February 23, 2016 and March 10, 2016 with a "Best by" date of 01/27/2017, Lot #CO27, and UPC #713757339001. Affected product was sold in California, Colorado, Oregon and Washington. Recall issued March 2016.
- Fromm Family Pet Food voluntary recall of 3 products sold from December 2015 to February 2016 due to possibly elevated levels of vitamin D.
1. Gold Chicken Pate Dog Food, 12 oz. can case code #11893, individual can UPC: 72705 11892
2. Gold Chicken & Duck Wet Dog Food, 12 oz. can case code #11895, individual can UPC: 72705 11894
3. Gold Salmon & Chicken Pate,12 oz. can case code #11891, individual can UPC: 72705 11890.
- Purina 10 oz. Tubs of Beneful Prepared Meals and Chopped Blends wet dog food and 5 varieties of Pro Plan Savory Meals wet dog food (possibly nutrient deficient) with a “Best Before” date range of June 2017 to August 2017 and production codes starting with the first four digits of 5363 to 6054.
- All lots of the Ruff Roots Himalayan Dog Chews sold exclusively by PetSmart (Potential metal contamination) Recall includes Ruff Root Sprout - LOT# SP001, Ruff Root Stump - LOT# ST001 and Ruff Root Stalk - LOT# SA001
- OC Raw Dog Food Turkey & Produce Raw Frozen Canine Formulations (Possible Salmonella Contamination) 6.5 lb. Doggie Dozen Patties and 5 lb. Bags with the lot number 1511 and use by date of 10/8/15. Product was sold in 4 states: Colorado, Minnesota, Missouri, and Pennsylvania. Recall issued May 18, 2015.
- Nylabone Puppy Starter Kit Dog Chews sold in the USA and Canada (Possible Salmonella Contamination) in a 1.69 ounce package marked with Lot #21935 and UPC 0-18214-81291-3 and with an expiration date of 3/22/18. Recall issued Apr 27, 2015.
- Nutrisca Chicken and Chickpea Recipe Dry Dog Food 4 lb. bags by Tuffy's Pet Foods (Possible Salmonella Contamination) UPC Code #8 84244 12495 7 with Lot Codes starting with: 4G29P, 4G31P, 4H01P, 4H04P, 4H05P, and 4H06P and Best by dates from 7/28/16 to 8/05/16
- Grill-Phoria Big Bark All Natural Beef Jerky Treats for Dogs 3.5 oz. bags distributed in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Oklahoma (No UPC Code) (Possible Salmonella Contamination) Recall date: 1/31/15
- J.J. Fuds Chicken Tender Chunks Pet Food 5 lb. bags. UPC Code #654592-345935 (Possible Listeria Contamination) Manufacture/Lot Code Date: 5/5/14 Recall date: 1/23/15
- Jump Your Bones Roo Bites 80 grams (2.82 oz.) and .32 oz. samples, UPC Code #63633010041 (Possible Salmonella Contamination) Recall date: 12/31/14
- Barkworthies Chicken Vittles Dog Chews with “Best Before” date of May 2016 and Lot Code #1254T1 (Possible Salmonella Contamination) Recall issued: 12/26/14
- Simply Nourish Biscotti Dog Treats Recall issued: 10/13/14
- Pet Smart's Kong Aussie Sticks dog treats Items #75559 and 75560 with “Best Before” dates of either Jan. 30, 2016 or Jan. 31, 2016 (Possible Mold Contamination) Recall issued: 9/2014
- Bravo! Raw Turkey Blend Dog Food, #31-102, 2 lb. tubes, “Best by” Nov. 5, 2015 (Salmonella) Recall issued: 9/26/14
- Bravo Blends All Natural Chicken Blend Dog Food #21-105, 5 lb. tubes, “Best by” Aug. 11, 2016 (Salmonella) Recall issued: 9/26/14
- Bravo Balance Premium Turkey Dog Food #31-405, 5 lb. tubes, “Best by” Nov. 5, 2015 (Salmonella) Recall issued: 9/26/14
See Why This is Such a Highly Rated Popular Dog Food Book
By Rick Woodford, the "Dog Food Dude". Healthy meals that dogs love. From nutritional value to portion sizes, these recipes will help owners know what their dog is eating plus they are fast and easy to make.
Do You Need Recipes for Making Dog Food?
Vote in the poll
No Time? The Next Best Thing to Homemade-from-Scratch Dog Food
Made From Scratch With No Fillers or Artificial Ingredients
SOJOS RAW DOG FOOD from Sojourner Farms is homemade, raw dog food made easy. Choose from a vairety of grain-free, all-natural pet foods. Mixes are made from scratch with whole food only. No fillers. No preservatives. No artificial colors. No artificial flavors. Just simple, real ingredients like you’d find in your own kitchen.