- Pets and Animals»
- Cats & Cat Breeds
Flea Bomb - Finally Get Rid Of Fleas
If you live in an area that has fleas and you have pets then you have probably used a flea bomb at one point or another. Fleas can be quite a nuisance and in some cases they can cause health problems for both pets and humans.
Using a flea bomb is the best way to rid your home of unwanted fleas. You should take certain precautions if you are going to use a flea bomb in your home.
- The first thing you need to do is choose the right type of flea bomb. Be sure and choose one that contains the active ingredient IGR. This chemical is effective in killing fleas and keeping any fleas that don't die form reaching reproductive age.
- The next thing you need to do is prepare your home for the flea bomb. You should either remove all your dishes and utensils or tape the cabinets shut.
- Next, it's a good idea to move any furniture that you can to non carpeted areas. This will expose the carpet below the beds and couches to the fog produced by the flea bomb. If you can't do this, that's okay, the flea bomb will still work.
- Have everyone leave the house. Everyone includes pets! Make sure you don't forget pets like birds, turtles, and fish. The flea bomb chemical would be very bad for them if you leave them in the house during the fogging.
- You're going to have to be out of the house for several hours after activating the flea bomb. Be sure and follow the instructions on the flea bomb for the duration of time that you have to stay out of the house.
- Next set the flea bomb in the middle of the room that you are fogging. You may need to use more than one flea bomb to adequately fumigate the house.
- Next close all the windows in the house to keep the chemical in the house during fumigation.
- Next, activate the flea bomb and leave the house immediately! Don't dilly dally. It's not safe to breath this stuff.
- It's a good idea to take your pets to the groomer for a flea bath while the house is being fogged. It wouldn't make much sense to bomb the house and then have your pets take fleas right back into the house.
- It's also a good idea to use a flea spot on product like Advantix on your pets before taking them back into the house.
- When you enter the house again, you should open all the windows and turn on some fans to ventilate the house. Leave the fans running for several hours.
- The next thing is to wash all your bedding before sleeping in it. You should also wash all of your dishes before eating on them again.
Using a Flea Bomb in Your RV
If you travel with your pets in your RV and your pet picks up a case of the fleas, there is a very good chance that your RV will need to be flea bombed.
The same precautions should be taken when flea bombing an RV as when fumigating a house. The only difference is that you don't want to sleep in the RV or drive it for several hours after using the flea bomb.
Be sure and treat your pets with a flea bath and flea spot medication before letting your pets back in the RV.
Buy a Flea Bomb With an Adulticide
When you purchase the flea bomb for fogging your home, be sure and buy one that has a chemical in it called an "adultidicide". This is important because you want to make sure that the fogger actually kills the existing fleas.
Many flea bombs only prevent living fleas from reproducing. This is very important and the flea bomb that you choose should be able to both kill adult fleas and prevent surviving fleas from reproducing.
This will prevent the life cycle of the flea from continuing and it will effectively rid your home of fleas.
Killing Fleas In Your Yard
If you have grass in your yard and you've noticed fleas on your pets, there is a very high probability that you have fleas in your lawn as well. Fleas will wait patiently in the grass for an unsuspecting dog or cat to wander by. Then they will jump on board and set up house on your pet.
If you are going to flea bomb your house and treat your pet with flea baths and dips, then you should really treat your yard as well.
You can buy pesticides to spray on your lawn that will kill the fleas at your local home center. Be sure and buy some that kills adult fleas and prevents any resistant survivors from reproducing. This is the only way to effectively break the life cycle.
Don't neglect this aspect of your flea control battle or your home will be infested again in a matter of days.
Flea Bomb Poll
Have you ever used a flea bomb in your home?
Flea Bomb Video
Here's a good video from ExpertVillage.com that talks about how to effectively flea bomb a house.