jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

My dogs are digging through my garden

1. Eve Ngure profile image55
    Eve Ngureposted 8 years ago

My dogs are digging through my garden

My two lovey dogs have started of late digging through my garden. Is this normal what should I Do?

2. rick_annie profile image53
    rick_annieposted 8 years ago

This is a simple one! sprinkle cyanne pepper in and around the garden, it keep your dogs, neighbour dogs and cats and squirrles out for good and it will not hurt your vegies.

3. riaancornelius profile image65
    riaancorneliusposted 8 years ago

Don't just try to deter the behaviour, find out what's causing it.

If it started lately, is there anything that changed in the garden or in  the dogs routines?

What age and breeds are the dogs? Some dogs were bred for digging and will keep doing it. If this is the case, make a sandpit somewhere for them that they can dig in and hide interesting toys in the pit, then encourage them to dig there and reward / praise them when they do. Then you can start discouraging digging elsewhere.

If you have a dog like a terrier or Dachshunds which were bred to dig for and kill rodents, They could be hearing or smelling moles or other rodents. If this is the case, about the only thing you can do is to get used to it or get rid of the rodents.

Another common cause is that the dogs are bored or has too much exercise. Labradors for example will dig if they don't get enough exercise or mental stimulation. Obviously the solution is to give them more exercise or toys too keep them busy.

4. Skif profile image54
    Skifposted 8 years ago

Rick_Annie:  It may not hurt the garden, but I can tell you that it will hurt the dogs.  I have seen a lot of people promoting the use of crushed pepper or hot sauce as deterrent.  This is really not good for the dogs, or for your carpet.  Not only can it make the dogs very sick, but if they get sick in your house it will not be fun trying to clean up what came out either end of the dogs.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

First, yes try to determine the cause, and fix the problem if there is one.

If it seems to be breed-related, you may be able to deter the behavior with a trick often used to keep cats from using the garden as their litterbox.

Blow up and lightly bury some small balloons in the problem area.  Cover with only enough soil to hide them from view.  When the dog starts digging, they will pop the balloon, which will startle them, and be an effective and immediate deterrent.

Best wishes!