jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why are so many people afraid of snakes?

1. Sonjadean profile image55
    Sonjadeanposted 7 years ago

Why are so many people afraid of snakes?

Why are so many poeple afraid of snakes?  i think that it goes back to biblical days or some poeple such as myslef, I am afraid of patterns. Also why are some people afraid of the patterns on snakes?

2. edfishr911 profile image55
    edfishr911posted 7 years ago

It may be the mysterious nature of these creatures. Don't you think?

3. xKumo profile image56
    xKumoposted 7 years ago

I think that most of the time people are afraid of snakes because they can't identify which ones are poisonous, and so they are scared of every snake they see because of that. Either that, or it could just be that they've got a bit of a phobia towards them. I'm not afraid of snakes, but roaches on the other hand..

4. rvsource profile image56
    rvsourceposted 7 years ago

Snakes are naturally defensive and tend to strike if they feel threatened. Humans can sense when something is threatening to attack. So the fear might just be a natural tendency for humans. I think it's similar as to why someone would be scared of an alligator or shark for that matter. It's also common sense

5. eli grey profile image61
    eli greyposted 7 years ago

Well I think snakes are not proud creatures but if they feel threatened they make themselves appear hostile? Also, snakes have been reveered as the decieving type. Always leading you astray. Their very nature is chilling enough to make you get goosebumps. They're fast and oh so deadly, or at least most of them are. And it's a reptile. I really hope I don't dream about snakes tonight.

6. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

This is another thing that I've never really understood, though I know they produce a very visceral reaction in those with snake phobias. My husband isn't really afraid of anything in the world...except snakes, they have the power to make him panic and run away screaming. He knows the types of snakes around here and is well aware that most of the snakes that produce this reaction will not hurt him, but he is still unable to suppress it. In his words, he has no idea why they do that to him, he's never once had a run-in with a snake in his life, but he can barely stand to even watch them on TV. He was raised by his Russian Orthodox grandparents, who were Old Believers, and was always taught to associate the beginning of evil in the world with snakes, and he has mentioned that perhaps that's what it is...but he's not at all convinced that's what caused it. Also, that wouldn't explain the people who are from completely different cultures that didn't have the "snake in the garden" story, yet still have a fear of snakes. As for the patterns, they are intended to be either camouflaging or threatening, and in either case I guess I can see why they would disturb someone...the first because it keeps you from seeing them until they're RIGHT THERE, and the second because they're broadcasting their intentions to anything that gets too close.

working