jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How much aquarium salt per liter?

1. profile image46
    ashlllleyposted 7 years ago

How much aquarium salt per liter?

I have a 1 gallon and a 3.4 L tank.

2. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 7 years ago

That depends...are you looking for a tonic amount for freshwater fish, have brackish water fish, or saltwater fish? Which fish are they, and what are the parameters of new water being introduced into the tank? (the latter is much more important for brackish and saltwater fish than for most freshwater fish) Without this information, no one will be able to give you an accurate answer.

3. profile image46
    ashlllleyposted 7 years ago

I have two betta fish pr siamese fighting fish. I change the water every week. Does this help?

4. finatics profile image78
    finaticsposted 7 years ago

For freshwater aquariums, I don't recommend using aquarium salt because in most freshwater fishes come from lakes and rivers that have very little salt in them. Aquarium salt can kill most freshwater plants, and scaleless fish can be very sensitive to it too. Aquarium salt can be used to treat diseases, but that's a different case.

If you are talking about a brackish water aquarium (I don't think you do because it's so small but whatever), here's a link for more info: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

I don't think you're talking about a saltwater tank because of the very small aquariums you have.

5. pldominice profile image68
    pldominiceposted 7 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it for your betta tank for 2 reasons.  A) Bettas won't benefit from it as much as say, mollys or brackish fish(like what finatics said) and B) its a small tank and you'll give yourself a heachache(and possibly kill your fish) in trying to maintain or keep low levels of the aquarium salt in the tank.

Leave it as alternative to medicine if they get sick, they'll  be fine without it! :-)

Hope that helps!

working