why does one of my bunnies ears stay fallen over. none of his brothers have ears

1. profile image43
    ericlovesmeposted 7 years ago

why does one of my bunnies ears stay fallen over. none of his brothers have ears like that

its a netherland mixed with flemish giant and it is the only rabbit with one ear that will not stay up.

2. profile image50
    writer268posted 7 years ago

Ok, first the disclaimer, I am not a vet. Now having said that, I do have experience with the domestic rabbit. At the base of a rabbit's ear is cartilage. It is partially responsible for allowing the ear to stand up, it is the base or support structure. The upright ears are further supported by a network of collagen fibers that span the length of the outer ear. Any genetic mutation or birth defect affecting the amount or placement of these body tissues could cause the ear to droop. Of course, always consult your vet to make sure that the rabbit is not dealing with a sickness or disease of the ear who's signs might include a drooping.

3. Bunniez profile image81
    Bunniezposted 7 years ago

One ear up, one ear down. Why oh why?  Why do some bunnies have ears that point straight up and other rabbits have ears that flop over? A hubber recently had this curious question to ask:   Why do one of my bunnies ears stay fallen over? None of his... read more

working