jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I am needing to know what a safe home made diet for my new pet rats would be, an

1. profile image48
    Sallygrl08posted 7 years ago

I am needing to know what a safe home made diet for my new pet rats would be, anyone out there...

help me with this?

2. Hawkers Bazaar profile image57
    Hawkers Bazaarposted 7 years ago

Your pet rat should get a balanced diet. Best to ask your local pet store as they would have a range of products for you to choose from. I would make sure your pet rats diet was supplemented with a mixture of seeds/nuts, fresh fruit and vegetable pieces.

3. Elisa Taylor profile image77
    Elisa Taylorposted 7 years ago

Be careful in the cold weather. I raised hairless rats and had to use a heating pad turned to low placed under the cage. We used an aquarium. Also gave the rat small pieces of meat, oatmeal, veggies. Basically leftovers. He lived 3 years, which is about right for a rat. And if you have babies, the mama feeds them and the daddy sleeps with them. They're wonderful to watch

4. ttrash profile image58
    ttrashposted 7 years ago

If you're making the whole diet yourself, it's important to make sure you're giving your rats just about everything they need. A website called the Dapper rat was really useful when I was considering making up a diet, it gave me the basics that needed to be included (e.g. grains, rolled oats, some seeds, cereals, some nuts). It's also a good idea to vary what you give your rats day to day, so they don't get sick of always having the same thing.

working