This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My neighbor has a border terrier but does not take him out for walks. I offered

1. profile image46
    neobrahmanposted 7 years ago

My neighbor has a border terrier but does not take him out for walks. I offered to walk him but...

when I put a leash on his collar he just rolls over on his back or lies down and will not get up, even when I give a tug on the leash. How can I motivate him to walk with me?

2. dmanet profile image60
    dmanetposted 7 years ago

I will probably be frowned upon by pet lovers for this answer, and I am one too, but you can always bribe him with a treat smile

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Well, it seems you have found out why your neighbour doesn't walk the dog.

4. AudioNick profile image61
    AudioNickposted 7 years ago

Yes, I must admit I'd go for the treat approach, tends to work very well with my Border. I'd use some to get him out and walking and then look to find some good walking area where there are lots of interesting smells, maybe a dog park if there's one nearby, try some games with a ball or some other throwing toy and generally try to get him into the midset that being outdoors = fun as well as some treats.

working