jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does anyone know any treatments for joint care in Labs?

1. Phanti profile image61
    Phantiposted 7 years ago

Does anyone know any treatments for joint care in Labs?

My neighbours have an older black Lab that is having old age and cold weather joint problems.  They are interested in finding any home remedies that can help her.

2. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

A heated sleeping pad will give some relief and acetaminophen (tylenol) given in small doses... about 1/2 tab once or twice a day may help a bit.

Aspirin (childrens size) will work too but dogs are like humans and some can't tolerate aspirin.

The way to give a dog a pill is to push with your fingers at the back of the jaw to open the mouth, pop the pill onto the back of the tongue, close the mouth and massage the throat.  Give the dog some water by way of a bowl.  The dog will drink on its own.  Or put a pill in a meatball of dog food.

If the weather is warm, swimming will provide some exercise which is easier than walking.

3. Alpaca Annie profile image56
    Alpaca Annieposted 7 years ago

I have a friend that is a natural health practitioner who works with animals as well as people. I highly recommend her. Here is a link to a page on her website with an essence formula for joints in animals.

http://naturalapproachtohealth.com/pg/g … or_animals

I would recommend contacting Alicia and describing any symptoms so she can more effectively prescribe what would work best for the dog.
    I wish them the best!

4. Phanti profile image61
    Phantiposted 7 years ago

Thanks Guys!

All of your input is awesome and very appreciated.

Shadow swims every day in the summer months and I think that she would probably be worse if she didn't get exercise.