Which animal is also called the morse?

1. juniorsbook profile image74
    juniorsbookposted 6 years ago

Which animal is also called the morse?

2. drbj profile image83
    drbjposted 6 years ago

I do not know of any animal called a morse in the English language. Perhaps you are referring to a moose which is a large animal of the deer family. Or even a mouse which is a small rodent.
    You can learn more about the moose in my hub "Missus Moose on the Loose" or about mice (plural of mouse) in my hub, "MSG and Fat Rats and Us."

3. juniorsbook profile image74
    juniorsbookposted 6 years ago

The Walrus. (Source: wiki: However, the most likely origin of the word is the Old Norse hrossvalr, meaning "horse-whale", which was passed in an inverted form to Dutch and the North-German dialects as walros and Walross. The now archaic English word for walrus—morse—is widely supposed to have come from the Slavic. Thus ???? (morž) in Russian, mursu in Finnish, moršâ in Saami, and morse in French. Olaus Magnus, who depicted the walrus in the carta marina in 1539, first referred to it as the ros marus, likely a Latinization of morž, and this was adopted by Linnaeus in the binomial nomenclature. The coincidental similarity between "morsus" and the Latin for "death" (mors) and "to bite" (mordere) supposedly contributed to the walrus' reputation as a "terrible monster".

working