Do you believe Seabiscuit was the greatest race horse of all time and why?

1. Ken Barton profile image57
    Ken Bartonposted 6 years ago

Do you believe Seabiscuit was the greatest race horse of all time and why?

Seabiscuit won 33 out of 89 starts,career earnings $437,730 in late 1930's, War Admiral won 21 out of 26 starts. career earnings $273,240 in late 1930's, Secretariat won 16 out of 21 starts, career earnings $1,313,808 in 1970's.  Given these Stats I think it is clear Seabiscuit because he ran against everyone, and given the time won more money in the long run. Plus, he was known as a horse of the People, because of his scrawny stature with crooked legs, yet he rose above all to become the ultimate Champion.

2. profile image0
    marellenposted 6 years ago

Ken...after  I saw the movie bets on that horse for the greatest.

3. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 6 years ago

I realise this will sound partisan, since I was born in New Zealand, and live in Australia, just like the horse I'd put forward for the honour- Phar Lap.

Not from a money point of view, but for total wins; including Australia's premier race, The Melbourne Cup, 3 times.

As you may know, Phar Lap won The Agua Caliente Handicap, (1931 or 1932, not sure) in track-record time. Who knows what heights the horse could have gone on to, had he not died soon afterwards, while still in the USA.

I don't really know much about race horses, but his outstanding record, coupled with the NZ/Australia debate, ie; was he born great (in NZ), or trained to become so (in OZ)?, has made Phar Lap a legend in both countries, even amongst us non-racing fraternity.

According to Wikipedia: "As a comparison, America's horse racing legend, Seabiscuit, won 33 of his 89 races (37%) while Phar Lap won 37 of his 51 starts (72.5%) and was thus almost twice as successful."

Just adding a little to the discussion....