How can I tame my iguana

1. profile image48
    KEZZ1109posted 6 years ago

How can I tame my iguana

We have recently brought an iguana in a tank. The previous Owner says he was tame before but she didn't have the time so he hasn't been handled for a while. He is lovely and green and eating well but doesn't let us near him. We have only had him 7days is it too soon to handle him if not any suggestions on how as he whips .we are also going to give him his own room when do u suggest is best to do this.

2. profile image0
    ZombieJoeposted 6 years ago

only seven days is not enough time for him.  I highly recommend leaving him alone, for near a month.  He needs time to adjust.  I am glad to hear he is eating, but give him space to relax.  After the month period, if you notice calmer behaviors, go ahead and begin by just standing near his cage and see how he reacts.  If he whips or hisses, just stand there till he stops.  Leaving the room only gets you to do what he wants.  After he does not show aggression towards your presence, begin by touching him in his cage.  Use a bath towel to block his whipping if it occurs, but do not let a few whips scare you.  If he whips and you run, all you are doing is reinforcing this behavior.  Once he stops whipping and touching is ok with him, then begin trying to hold him.  Make sure to give him full bodied support.  You may even want to use the bath towel and wrap it around him and carry him like a little baby for a bit.  The towel feels secure to him and will keep you in control.  All of this is going to take time, patience, and lots of work.  However, if you feel he is too dangerous, please be sure to use extreme caution with him.  If he is orange, he may be in breeding season and will be aggressive no matter what.  If he continues to be aggressive after many attempts, you may have a stubborn ig that will never tame down.  It is sad, but it is a true aspect about all reptiles.  Just the other day I was holding my crested gecko, who as many know seem to tolerate handling very well.  However, even my little sweetie gave me a good bite.  Granted they cannot break the skin or leave a mark with their weak bite, but it just goes to show that even the most "gentle" of reptiles have their personalities.  Best of luck!

P.S.  do not give him his own room until he earns it.

3. profile image48
    KEZZ1109posted 6 years ago

Thank-you very much zombiejoe will try your suggestions see how we get on.

working