How can we ensure that our beagle stays healthy during whelping the 9 puppies ju

1. profile image47
    BeckiMposted 6 years ago

How can we ensure that our beagle stays healthy during whelping the 9 puppies just born?

This is her first litter. She already seems to not have enough milk to feed all puppies.  We have bought replacement milk and have started giving it to the mom per directions on the carton for her health, and are ready to start giving to the puppies if necessary.  I have heard that human infant formula, either soy or non-soy based will do the mother and babies good. What else can we do to make sure all of them stay healthy? What is the best milk replacement to give them?

2. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

I'm not an expert on Beagles or anything, so I hope one will come along and give specifics. Though I do have experience with having pregnant poochies and I have found that generally all they need to is regular easy exercise and plenty of food and water. You want to keep their meals generally the same for the first month, then start to give them more protein and fatty acids to support the growth of the pups. I prefer raw organic meats such as lamb or turkey, though you might just choose a special dog food with increased protein.

Hope this helps!

3. GardenWildRose profile image60
    GardenWildRoseposted 4 years ago

I always added yogert to my poodle's diet, and eggs. She needs extra protien as well as calcium. I also gave her liver treats, and chicken. Baked the liver, or chicken adding nothing so not affect her milk. I then cut into cubes, and froze it... giving when she went outside did her business. Do not use broths as too salty and many have onions in it.

working