jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What Can You Safely Give A Dog For Pain?

1. PhoenixV profile image69
    PhoenixVposted 6 years ago

What Can You Safely Give A Dog For Pain?

Is there anything natural that you can give a dog for pain?

2. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 6 years ago

Massage or a warm bath. Some people even take their dog to the acupuncturist! It's a good idea to make sure that if your pet is overweight that you help them lose weight. If they have arthritis, they must still remain somewhat active at a minimum or the arthritis can worsen due to inactivity.

As for pills and the like, I would take the dog to the vet. Animals are sensitive to medications and their bodies can sustain damage that they may not recover from if you try to medicate them without seeing a vet.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Ice and heat are always safe bets if applied with caution. It depends what the pain is due to - I have used Rimadyl, a prescription drug in the past for one of my dogs and as long as you use as directed, I believe it's safe. I would be very cautious about giving herbs or other natural remedies without consulting a veterinarian because dogs and humans have different physiology and they don't always react to medication the way humans do. There are also various interactions to be concerned about.

4. DeanCash profile image60
    DeanCashposted 6 years ago

I suggest you consult a doctor. It is crucial that we know why the dog's is in pain - was it an accident, is their any injuries involved. Don't self medicate that's not good.

5. Romiegirl2010 profile image59
    Romiegirl2010posted 6 years ago

Don't ever give any animal any type of drugs without consulting your vet. Some things which may seem benign may turn out to be fatal. Just call your vet?

working