jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Why Dogs Bark?

1. jainismus profile image71
    jainismusposted 5 years ago

Why Dogs Bark?

Why most of the dogs bark on people?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6591472_f260.jpg

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Barking is a way dogs communicate. They bark for many reasons. They bark to alert others to something alarming to them. They bark to get attention or something else they want. They bark to greet people. They bark as part of a threat to ward off aggressors. They bark in happiness and excitement...

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oops - I meant to say "what Patrica McConnell said" about finger-pointing, not Jean Donaldson. (See below)

3. Sirus Hunt profile image61
    Sirus Huntposted 5 years ago

Barking is actual an evolutionary thing that formed when dogs and humans first started their symbiotic relationship. Dogs  used to only bark for a human's sake, though in contemporary times it is instinctive. Related to this, dogs are one of two creatures (the other being primates) that understands a pointed finger. This too, is thousands of years of our symbiotic relationship with them.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59

The finger-pointing thing is questionable - read what Jean Donaldson has to say about it --- also, wolves bark and we do not normally have a relationship with them - they are communicating with each other.

2. Sirus Hunt profile image61
      Sirus Huntposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wolves do NOT bark, they growl, which is on the other end of the spectrum of communicative techniques.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59

You are wrong, Sirus. They do not bark often, but they bark. They also howl and growl, but domestication has caused dogs to bark more than their wild counterparts. Also - that's P. McConnell, not Donaldson.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

The same way people talk. It is how they communicate. They are trying to talk to us just like we tell them to do something.

5. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

I think its because they are trying to tell us something...I also think they are smiling whenever they have their mouth open and their tongue is hanging out and they just sit there and look kind of happy.

6. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

Dogs bark because they have not yet developed a vocabulary based upon "words".... only one based on the "sounds" (barking) that they can make...

In 50 years, I expect that we will look back at this submittal and get great folly from it.....

7. afriqnet profile image53
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

Dog Barking is a serious concern to many dog owners and they are often embarrassed when the dog barks at people, neighbors, other dogs and so on. There are about 5 to 6 known causes why dogs bark and they can be summarized as follows:
    Natural Response to other dogs
    When the dogs are seeking attention
    When they are bored
    The obvious way of warning you of impending danger
    When excited and when they are anxious
    I hope this list helps
    smile

working