jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (30 posts)

What's the strangest animal you've seen someone have as a pet?

1. Melissa A Smith profile image99
    Melissa A Smithposted 5 years ago

What's the strangest animal you've seen someone have as a pet?

Powerful animal welfare organizations tell us that exotic pet ownership is on the rise. Do you know of anyone with a pet tiger or any other unusual pet? What's the strangest animal you've seen someone have as a pet? A wolfdog? A sugar glider? Ducks?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6667559_f260.jpg

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

I had a pet clam when I was a kid.

Melissa A Smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Really? Where did you get it? I've had clams before and they are extremely hard to care for because of their special feeding requirements (plankton, rotifers, copepods).

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I brought it home from Lake Erie and kept it in a bucket of water until curiosity got the better of me and I dissected it - not something I am proud of....a budding scientist, I guess.

3. Petfriends profile image60
      Petfriendsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

OMG I just spit out my water! Did you name it?

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No, as I recall I did not give it a name.....would have been even more inhumane to dissect a clam with a name, don't you think?

5. Rochelle Frank profile image95
      Rochelle Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Are clams harder to train than dogs? Can they be housebroken?

6. Shaddie profile image91
      Shaddieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't think this really qualifies as a pet if you killed and dissected it...

3. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

The only thing I can think of is a guy I knew in college who had a ferret. They're not so "exotic" now -- you can get them in just about any pet shop - but 20 years ago they were rather odd. He used to walk around campus with the ferret in his inside jacket pocket, so its head would be sticking out, or with it riding on his shoulders. He got a ton of chicks with that thing.

I had no idea they were considered odd at that time, although I was 4. I had one briefly.

4. Danieljohnston profile image88
    Danieljohnstonposted 5 years ago

I knew someone with a fox. It was really friendly.

What kind of fox?

2. Danieljohnston profile image88
      Danieljohnstonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure, it was silver - so maybe a silver fox.

5. Victoria Anne profile image96
    Victoria Anneposted 5 years ago

My friend in high school had a pot bellied pig that lived inside the house. A couple I know also has sugar gliders.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Hello Melissa, The strangest that iv'e seen is A Groundhog.

An actual groundhog or a prairie dog? Although I know some places keep groundhogs for the holiday.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

No. An actual groundhog they raised from a baby.

7. RoxiM profile image59
    RoxiMposted 5 years ago

When I was a kid, my best friends had a pet skunk. It was really cute, but even though it had been descented, it was still pretty smelly. It liked to get into things -- bags, laundry baskets, etc. -- but it couldn't climb stairs or get up onto the furniture, so we learned to put things up out of reach.

Victoria Anne, I replied to you and erased it for a spelling error, and now it won't let me re-post. Glitches I suppose. Pet skunks are certainly unique pets, and indeed they do still smell without their projectile urine.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
      Rochelle Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

one of my great-nephews has an albino skunk-- totally white furred with pink eyes-- really kind of cute.

8. Kalmiya profile image80
    Kalmiyaposted 5 years ago

Elly May Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies (well, didn't know her but knew of her!) I remember having all kinds of strange pets but the one I think was the oddest is the opossum. We have one or two wild ones down our alley way and I guess because it's a marsupial they look really out of place in North America!

Yeah, I've seen living ones about 2x living here. All the others were hit by cars.

2. RoxiM profile image59
      RoxiMposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We have plenty of opossums here, and I can't imagine wanting one as a pet. When I was a kid, we had them living under our house, and they're just plain weird. They'd lie in the driveway,and wouldn't leave till my dad shut off the headlights.

9. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

Ducks aren't odd.
    I had a ground squirrel that I caught in the mountains when I was ten... I wrote a hub about it.

Well, it would be in the suburbs I suppose. I was just looking for more answers smile Ground squirrels can also be captive bred.

10. Djaak profile image37
    Djaakposted 5 years ago

A meerkat, I'm from South Africa so meerkats are common here but having one as a pet was a weird thing to me. But they make awesome pets.

Wow, I would think they would make bad pets because of their social needs and their urge to dig.

11. Shaddie profile image91
    Shaddieposted 5 years ago

It's extremely difficult for me to answer this question seeing as how "strange animal" is a little derogatory in my opinion, and also for the fact that I see "strange animals" (that is, animals that are unconventional) every day at the clinic I work at. When you work with wallabees, alligator snapping turtles, raccoons and prairie dogs you kind of get jaded to what other people might consider "strange."

However...some of the more unique animals I have seen as pets have been coatimundis, kinkajous, and binturongs. Personally I think monkeys make the absolute weirdest pets, but I have not run into one of those yet.

By strange, I meant uncommon, as those animals you listed certainly are (this is a good thing). Primates might be illegal where you live.  I'd love to have a kink or a wallaby. Monkeys are a little harder to defend as pets.

2. Shaddie profile image91
      Shaddieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The legality of owning certain pets certainly hasn't stopped the droves of squirrel owners who bring in to us their vicious little biting monsters. Binturongs make surprisingly decent pets though!

working