jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

What age do you look for in a pet? Any pet

1. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

What age do you look for in a pet? Any pet

I as reading about cats, and I love cats. I always prefer adult cats to kittens, but when it comes to dogs, I prefer a puppy to an adult (when it comes to adopting. I love all dogs). I've had friends who swear by getting a baby pet bunny over an adult, and the other way around too. What works best for you?

2. Rosyel Sawali profile image66
    Rosyel Sawaliposted 5 years ago

We had our guinea pigs when they were probably a few weeks old. They've been with us for almost a year now. I think they're totally cute as babies. Then raise them to be adult guinea pigs. ^_^

3. Sapper profile image71
    Sapperposted 5 years ago

The only pets I've ever had other than dogs is mice. So I can only really comment on dogs.

I own bully breeds exclusively, and 90% of those are pit bulls. We have adopted an adult pit bull twice. Both were great dogs, with 1 shared flaw. They both were extremely toy and food aggressive. Most behavioral issues can be fixed in adult dogs. If you adopt a dog that doesn't walk on a leash the right way, for the most part the worse that can happen is you'll end the walk with a sore arm. There are a lot of much worse things that can happen when you are dealing with a breed that was historically bred to be aggressive towards other dogs, and giving it an excuse to be aggressive.

We had one fight break out over an apple. They each had one, our female decided if she took our males, then she would have 2. They were wagging their tails about it, nobody was growling or acting aggressive, so I made the mistake of getting my camera instead of fixing it. He decided he wanted his apple back, and before I could turn around with the camera she attacked him. This was completely my fault, I should have corrected it in the first place, but if I had gotten her as a puppy and taught her at a young age that toy and food aggression isn't ok, it might not have happened.

For that reason alone, if we have multiple dogs, which we always do, I prefer my pit bulls as puppies.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

When looking to adopt? I check how old they are and prefer any age over a puppy or kitten. The pet has to be a few years old so they are already potty trained and not as playful. My last dog, a dachshund, was 7 when we got him at the shelter. He was very well trained and entirely loyal. The perfect pet.

5. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7414487_f260.jpg

My dog was 4 years old when I got him. The owner tried to tell me the Chug was a year and a half thinking that people only what young pups and dogs. My dog perfecto!!!!!!!!!!

Chugs should be recognized by the AKC - well - someday

1. DrMark1961 profile image99
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

That could really happen, but it would take someone to set up a kennel and breed the Chug females to Chug males, and create a pure breed. Are you interested in getting the program started?

2. ptosis profile image75
      ptosisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I can't do and neither can my little snipped Chuggers ( didn't slow him down tho'

6. nanderson500 profile image87
    nanderson500posted 5 years ago

A young adult works for me. I adopted my dog when he was two and he's three now. A puppy would drive me crazy though.

working