jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Have you ever tried to use baby food to coax a cat to eat?

1. Tom Vogler profile image81
    Tom Voglerposted 4 years ago

Have you ever tried to use baby food to coax a cat to eat?

A friend who worked at a vet suggested it.

2. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

No. We just use bacon grease. Cat's love it. Also find out which meat your cat prefers. Butters loves yogurt. Alex and Khaki adore chicken. Minnie's will do anything for taco's or turkey. It was not my idea to give her taco's.

Tom Voglerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for reminding me about that.  I've had my male cat since he was a kitten, and when he was a true baby (<6 months old)  he would lick the container in which we kept the leftover bacon grease because it was on the bottom shelf in the fridg

3. Sharkye11 profile image95
    Sharkye11posted 4 years ago

Yes. But whether or not it works depends on the cat. I happen to have a cat that hates fish. But she would literally attack the baby for a jar of Gerber ground ham and gravy.

When I worked on the farm we used baby food and pudding a lot when we had to coax abandoned baby animals to eat. It works, and they can be gradually weaned back onto the correct food.

I bought 3 jars of meat. (chicken, turkey and beef)  I looked for the chocolate pudding I remembered as a kid as a treat for myself but couldn't find it!  :-)

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

Never tried it, but I'm sure it would work if the cat decides he/she likes it. The only baby food I've ever bought is the Hawaiian Delight - for myself once in a while because I love the stuff. Every cat I've had drives me crazy as soon as I open the jar. They love the stuff. But with other stuff like Jello pudding, they often lick off the pudding and leave the regular cat food for later. If the cat doesn't seem to like the cat food (won't eat it even with the tricks) you might need to change brands or flavors.

Interesting:  A co-worker also mentioned Hawaiian Delight.  I would consider that too, because I think it claimed to be organic.

working