jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Why are pit bulls frowned upon?

1. MiloNowherepoems profile image60
    MiloNowherepoemsposted 3 years ago

Why are pit bulls frowned upon?

2. Snøwman profile image61
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

They're generally viewed as aggressive dogs. They can also lock their jaw when they bite making them more dangerous. We don't know yet if they're aggressive because we teach them to be like that or because it's in their genes.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9200507_f260.jpg

Pit bulls are frowned down on because of the media. Pit bulls are news stories every time they attack someone vs. other dogs.  I encourage anyone who thinks American Pit Bulls are naturally aggressive to read this article http://stubbydog.org/2012/05/pit-bulls-by-the-numbers/  I have been a rescue foster for 12 years and had my own pit (1/4 lab) that I rescued before that. We had this dog for 13 years, raised her through three infants, and never so much as a tiny growl in her entire life. She even nursed kittens who had lost their mother. Many of the rescued pits we have taken in have been chained to trees with logging chains by ignorant people. They come to me appreciative for a home even though they have every reason to be mean. My current dog is also a mix of shar pei and American Pitt. 8 years of perfect dog. 
    In the area I live Pit bulls are a status symbol to many young black men. It is a competition of who has the strongest looking dog. The result is often being tied to large chains. You can drive through neighborhoods where almost every house has one tied up. It's pathetic!
    Pitt bulls get a bad rap because of ignorant people!

1. profile image56
      Brandy Whiteposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Yes they do. I had a female pit that lived for 16 years and she was the best do we ever ever had bar none. Very good with kids and other pets we had. Stupid people make them mean and it makes me sick.

4. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 3 years ago

It wasn't so long ago that pit bulls were considered to be loving, family dogs. So anyone who tries to suggest that pit bulls are inherently bad doesn't know much about them.

Pit bulls have unfortunately been bred to fight for the last few decades. Add that in with bad owners and it's a recipe for disaster. It's such a shame that we as humans have doomed this breed to such a horrible reputation.

I don't frown upon pit bulls, I frown upon bad dog owners.

1. JC Torpey profile image59
      JC Torpeyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Agreed - explained more in depth below.

5. JC Torpey profile image59
    JC Torpeyposted 3 years ago

Pit Bulls specifically got a bad rap because of the media attention combined with the dog's natural aggression and jaw structure. The ASPCS has a great article about Pit Bulls and the reason some are so agressive while others aren't: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-p … -pit-bulls

In my experience, any dog's demeanor is 90 percent dependent on the person training that dog. Any dog breed can become a killer if the dog's human companion trained it to do so - and many a breed have killed, not just Pit Bulls.

On the other hand, if the human companion trains the dog to be a loving dog, than that dog will love, no matter the breed.

working