jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is Cat De-clawing a cruel act?

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

Is Cat De-clawing a cruel act?

Many people have had their cats de-clawed  over the years. Some think its just a normal procedure.
    Many  are looking to outlaw this practice. What do you think?

2. Theophanes profile image98
    Theophanesposted 2 years ago

I was against de-clawing cats until I got involved with sphynx cats and some devons. Without hair on their paws their nails would be covered by only a pocket of skin that worked GREAT as a grease trap! No matter how much you bathed them this black nasty sludgy grease would build up and the tiniest scratch or wound would get clogged up with it and foot infections were a near constant thing. The ones who had been de-clawed on all four feet at birth did not have this problem. Granted I believe declawing a normal-furred older cat is a great way to ensure you get a cat that bites first and asks questions later. The meanest cats I have ever come across weren't ferals, they were cats de-clawed in adulthood, after they would have learned how to use their claws as defense. So at the slightest threat they'd bite and bite HARD like they were a wild mink! It's a complex issue. All-out banning is not the right approach. Education and more thought out decisions may be.

3. Link10103 profile image76
    Link10103posted 2 years ago

It should be outlawed once the cat is past a certain age (not a kitten).

I dont like it either way, but I have less of a problem with it if its done before they have come to rely on them as a kitten than as an adult cat whos had their claws for x amount of years. And ONLY if they are purely household cats, declawing a cat that goes outdoors is most likely a death sentence.

4. helenstuart profile image72
    helenstuartposted 2 years ago

Yes, declawing a cat is a very outdated measure that was only invented for the benefit of human upholstry. sp? When a cat "sharpens his claws" he is not showing aggression or trying to ruin your couch, he is trying to rid his nail beds of dead skin. If a cat has been treated well as a kitten, then spayed or neutered, there is no reason his claws should be a threat. I worked at several veterinarians, and the way some of them do this "procedure " is quick and horrible. And it's true, taking the nails from all 4 paws is a death sentence for a cat that gets out, they can't escape by climbing a tree. Nowdays, with all the cat viruses, a cat should be a totally indoors, vaccinated, spayed or neutered friends with evey claw in tact. Do provide him with a scratching post. One made of sissal or sissel? sp again works best. It feels good to cats nails and does not mimic any rugs or furniture.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

i have raised cats most of my life and have never had one declawed.
      My friend had one of hers declawed and it limped for the rest of its life. They do need attention ,just like dogs. ;-)

working