On island without Veternarian...dog is lethargic with blood in vomit. Best way t

1. NikoloTeh profile image60
    NikoloTehposted 10 months ago

On island without Veternarian...dog is lethargic with blood in vomit. Best way to diagnose/treat ?

It's been between 23-28 hours since onset of symptoms. This morning we woke up to 2 small vomits.
    He has vomited maybe a total of 10-12 times in last 24 hours. Times 5 and 6 were clear because he had just drank water, but all vomits since vomit #4 have have noticeable, sometimes a lot, of blood in them.
    He is not barking nor whimpering and does not appear to be in lots of pain, but clearly with discomfort and a strong sense of tiredness. He is weak and sleepy.
    At first we thought it was from overeating because the night before he had a large meal of Salmon/Pea kibble, chicken (wet), & duck.

2. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 10 months ago

Nikolo, the best way to treat a dog that starts vomiting is to withold food for at least 24 hours. Give water only in the form of ice cubes so that the dog is forced to take in liquids only slowly.
    Try to push up on the stomach (palpate) and see how painful his belly is. If he is painful it might be pancreatitis.
    If the vomiting continues even without food, you need to think about poisoning, bloat, a bacterial or viral infection, stomach ulcers, cancer, etc. Read this article to see if it helps: https://pethelpful.com/dogs/my-dog-is-vomiting
    Do you have access to fluids and antibiotics where you are at? If he becomes dehydrated, he will need fluids. If it is an infection, antibiotics may help. Let me know what you have available.

1. NikoloTeh profile image60
      NikoloTehposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Thank you Dr Mark for your advice. I'm happy to report that our little guy is feeling better and hasn't thrown up or wet his bed going on 6 hours right. We took your advice and took away food and gave water slowly. His belly seems good. Thanks!

working