My boarder collie reacted and struggle as the lethal injection was being adminis

1. profile image60
    lisabrooklyngirlposted 3 months ago

My boarder collie reacted and struggle as the lethal injection was being administer is that normal?

My boarder collie had kidney was failing & she was in alot of pain.  She was in the emergency animal hospital in the ICU the night before and we transported her in the morning to the out vet hospital.  She had a catheter in her leg so they made her comfortable until the Dr came.  The Dr was called and said she was too far gone. I had been thru this before with 2 labs and saw the Dr administer the sedation injection then lethal injection but this time he only had one injection the lethal.  I asked she she was sedated but they did not answer as they put put in the injection thru the catheter &

2. Bob Bamberg profile image95
    Bob Bambergposted 3 months ago

Lisa, my sympathies go out to you on the loss of your boarder collie.  Euthanasia is usually the only option when a pet is very ill, but that doesn't make it any easier.   It's not unusual for an alert animal to struggle during the injection, just as animals often struggle against being held down during an examination. 

More often, an animal being euthanized is only slightly responsive, if responsive at all, giving credence to the notion that "it was a peaceful end."  As is often the case when dealing with animals, there are exceptions to every rule.  I'm sorry for your loss.

working