- Pets and Animals
Indoor Dog Gates: Making the Right Choice Just Got Easier
Choosing The Right Dog Gate
Indoor dog gates are absolute lifesavers for dog owners. Dog gates can help confine your pooch in a particular room or area and save you from having to follow her around the house to supervise her.
Pet gates are also great when house-training because they enable you to limit how much access your new dog can have to the house.
Since there is a range of dog gate styles, finishes and prices on the market, here are a few tips to help you make the right choice for your household.
. . . . . . . . . . . .
Image courtesy: www.worldforpets.com.au
Look What I Found Under the Bed
Gone In 60 Seconds . . . - Dog Escapes Pet Gate
How long does it take a clever pooch to figure out how to break out?
3 Tips For Choosing The Right Dog Gate
Considerations You Should Not Overlook
- 1. Get The right size pet gate, the first time.
- Avoid wasting money on the worng-sized pet gate by first taking measurements of the doorway or opening area that you'd like to secure with a gate. Then find a gate that will fit that opening. Should your area be larger than usual, you will be happy to know that many pet gates out there are built with an extension panel that will accommodate larger widths. Make sure that the pet gate you choose is tall enough so that your dog cannot jump over it as he grows. This is a common mistake many people make, so invest in a tall dog gate rather than having to buy a new one as your dog gets bigger.
- 2. Consider ease-of-use.
- The gate should be easy to open and close. Ensure that the gate's door latch can be opened and closed with one hand, and with ease.
- 3. Don't compromise safety because of price.
- Never buy a pet gate that requires you to step over it just to get from room to room. Although less expensive, these gates are hazards and an accident just waiting to happen.
Extra Tall Dog Gates
Contain dogs large or small with a pressure mounted pet gate. Designed with tubular steel and rounded safety corners. Comes with a 6" extension. Extra extensions available for wider spaces. Extra Tall Gate has a convenient one-touch design. Measures 29-40"W x 41"H. Includes small pet door.
Three Basic Types of Dog Gate Installations
What Works For Your Space?
- Mounted Pet Gates . . .
- are installed by attaching to the inside frame of a doorway or archway opening. A lot of people are concerned that these types of pet gates may cause damage to the walls they attach to. There are, however, high quality gates that are manufactured with bumpers to prevent such damage. Choose one of these if your budget allows for it.
- Tension Pet Gates . . .
- are gates that can be slid in between door openings and remain somewhat secured with tension, rather than installed wiith screws and hinges. While very easy to install these types of can sometimes be
- moved by your pet. Depending upon the size and weight of your puppy or adult dog, it may be better to use those that attach to the wall. It's a little extra money and a bit more work to install, but much better in the long run.
- Free-Standing Pet Gates . . .
- are just that, free-standing. They do not attach to the inside of door frames and are not kept in place by pressure tension. They have a self-supported structure so that they do not tip over. However, these types of gates may not work for very large dogs whose weight alone can shift the gate out of place.
Tension Mount Dog Gates
Easily keep pets contained or away from off-limit areas with this convenient pet gate. The unit fits doorways or hallway openings up to 35-2/5 inches wide, while adjuster knobs control the tension-mount installation for a perfect fit. The pet gate features upper and lower gate locks to ensure pet safety and security, as well as a narrower gap of 1-2/5 inches between the spindles. In addition, rubber stoppers protect wall surfaces, and the gate door lifts effortlessly to open or close.
Hallway Pet Gate
Easy to install pressure mounted gates; Opens in both directions; One-hand operation; All steel construction; Fits hall way opening up to 63.5"
How To Make A Dog Gate - Make Your Own!
If you're a real do-it-yourselfer, you may want to take note and adapt these instructions to create an indoor dog gate that suits your pet's needs (and complements your decor).
Wood Free-Standing Pet Gate
Freestanding dog gates protect dogs and doors alike! Our hardwood dog gates keep your pets where you want without damaging walls or floors. Unlike cumbersome pet gates that attach to framework, these classically styled dog gates are self-supporting structures that work in many different areas of your home.
Mesh Dog Gates
Keep your pets contained in their respective areas of the house with this practical Pet Gate. With a wire mesh design, your pet can still see what's going on in other rooms without having to peek over the top. Features a sturdy hardware frame with rigid vinyl coated wire. Measures 32"H x 29.5"W.