Celebrating Your Pet's Birthday
Happy Birthday, Fido!
People have birthday parties - why can't pets? Our dogs, cats, horses, even mice and bunnies bring us immense joy and companionship. Why not celebrate the special animal in your life with some fun and frolic? You don't have to spend a lot of money, waste cash on wrapping paper (although my dogs love unwrapping presents!) or make reservations for many great pet celebrations. Here are some ideas to feature your furry friend's special day.
Top 10 Ideas For Your Pet's Birthday
- Make some goodies. Pets love treats and your pet's birthday is the perfect time to bake a doggie cake or make a kitty cookie. There are some great recipe's on the internet, but be careful about giving pets sugar. A doggie cake can be made from ground beef and rice with some yummy carrots and green beans thrown in for crunch!
- Have a party. Invite your friend over with their pets and make it a fur-for-all! Try fun themes like a Superhero or Disney character party. Hold it in your backyard or at a park.
- Get a new toy. Your pet's birthday is a great time to throw out old, worn toys like stuffed animals or old chew toys. Try something new like a squeaker for your Schnauzer or a ball for your Beagle.
- Get a check up or cleaning. Annual visits to the vet help your pet stay healthy longer. Schedule a check up on or near your pet's birthday as a reminder.
- Dedicate a song. Call your local radio station and ask them to play a fun song dedicated to your pet. Some "ggggreat" pet songs include Elvis Presley's Hound Dog and Cat Stevens' I Love My Dog. If you want to get really sentimental, try Celine Dion's 'Because You Loved Me' or Bette Midler's 'The Wind Beneath My Wings.'
- Plant something. Living things are beneficial ways to commemorate your pet. Planting a tree or bush in your pet's name benefits the environment as well as serving as a tribute to your beloved.
- Donate something. Make a donation in your pet's name to a local shelter, park, or zoo. Local zoos are always looking for donations and will often inscribe a name near the location of the donation. 10% of any purchases made from this website will benefit the non-profit organization Critter Connection, an organization that helps pets find loving owners.
- Go for a walk or drive. Get your pet out of his normal environment for a change of scenery. A walk benefits both pet and owner and a drive can help your pet get out of a rut.
- Commemorate your pet. CafePress can put a photo of your sweetheart and put it on a t-shirt, mug, magnet, boxer short, even a calendar! Tell the world how much your baby means to you with a personalized item. (Click on any CafePress item below to go to the site.)
- Replace his bedding. A nice, new doggie pillow or litter box can make a wonderful gift. Just be sure not to throw out a beloved blanket or pillow. Pets can get attached to articles that bring them comfort. Changing too much at once may cause anxiety.