Sifting Cat Litter Boxes: Do they work?
Sifting Cat Litter Boxes: Do they work?
Anyone who owns a cat has struggled with the best way to deal with their waste. I've been a cat owner for 26 years, and I know how much of a pain waste removal can be with pets. I've tried everything, and was incredibly frustrated until I stumbled upon the sifting cat litter box. We tried having multiple litter boxes, and scooping litter daily. I thought we had really hit the jackpot when I found sifting bags you placed right over the litter box, but alas, our kitties still have their claws and it took one use for that bag to have a lot more holes than it was supposed to!
How to Use the Sifting Litter Box - It's easy!
- If you have one of the sifting litter boxes with a lid (which I recommend you get!), your first step will be removing that. I place it out of the way in the bathtub (weird, right?).
- This step is a really important one (trust me I didn't do it the first time I used ours!). Your litter box will have 3 pans total: 2 solid and 1 for sifting. Remove the bottom pan and place it directly next to the top 2.
- Lift the sifter pan while keeping it directly over what was the middle pan. Give it a light shake and place it into what was the bottom pan.
- Now you have one pan with the litter you want to save and one with the sifter and the waste you want to remove. At this point you just need to pour your waste into a garbage bag or whatever you prefer.
- Finally, pour the litter you reserved into the pan with the sifter in it and place the empty pan on the bottom. Add a little more litter to replace what you removed and pop on the lid.
- Celebrate! You're done!
Try This One
This it the exact sifting litter box that I use at home. It is absolutely perfect. One of my cats is a little on the chubby side, and this size is big enough for him. I do have a multiple cat home so I wouldn't want to go much smaller. The sifting pan works just great. The holes are large enough to let the clean litter go through, and small enough to keep behind everything I want to toss. Give this litter box a try!
Pros of the Sifting Litter Box - From experience!
- Savings on cat litter. This was a really big one for me. You really should be using scoopable cat litter with the sifting litter box. I tried using the cheapest litter I could find, but I found that I was going through it a lot faster. Once I switched to nice high quality litter, I really started seeing a difference. I can sift the box everyday, and I'm only replacing a small amount of litter rather than an entire pan's worth.
- Cleanliness. For a while we were just scooping the waste directly out of the box with one of those little scoops. This worked fine, and we were still enjoying the savings on cat litter as opposed to dumping the whole box. I had one huge problem with this method: what to do with the scoop after I used it. There was always litter stuck to it along with some kitty #1 and #2.The scooping itself was time consuming and I felt like a kid playing in a gross sandbox, scooping around trying to make sure I didn't miss anything. With the sifting cat litter box, it is so much easier!
- My cats are happier! I have to be honest, with every other method for box cleaning, I absolutely dreaded it. How can you not?! I'm not saying that I look forward to doing the box now, but it is so much easier. And so much faster! I find myself just manning up spending the minutes each day. We don't come home to little kitty accidents anymore, and my boys are much happier having a clean bathroom.
Sifting Cat Litter Box
The 3 pans
I know this is a little hard to picture; I was confused the first time I heard about these. And I was sure that we ended up with an extra pan! However, it's that 2nd pan that allows you to dispose of the waste without spilling litter all over.
Your kitties will be much happier!
Easier litter changing means the litter being changed more often. Or at least it does in my home. Your cats will love that and so will your furniture and carpet (if you know what I mean). No more accidents!
This is a Must!
Remember, a siftable cat litter box will need a scoopable cat litter to function at it's best. I used the last of my non-scoopable from our kitten days with this box, and it was a little too messy for me.
This litter is amazing! It's the kind we use. It really takes away a lot of the odor.
My very pleased customer
A Couple Other Options
The extra large Van Ness litter box works perfectly for me, but here are a few other options for you to peruse.