- Pets and Animals
What is a Blue Point Siamese Cat?
Named after the Norse god of mischief, Loki lives up to her namesake. When she isn't sleeping, that is. Loki is a Blue Point Siamese cat who loves to explore things that make noise, climb up as high as the cabinets will take her and she really loves to watch out the window for hours as the world passes by. But it doesn't stop her from trying to pounce on a bird or a fly on the other side of the glass.
What is a Blue Point Siamese cat?
About the Siamese
It isn't your traditional Siamese cat. The Blue Point is a type of Applehead Siamese, which has a rounder head than the traditional breed.
There are several color "points" (on the ears, nose, paws and tail): seal, chocolate, lilac...and blue. Genetically related to the Seal Point, the Blue Point Siamese is a lighter colored version of the Seal. And no, the blue points are actually not blue at all, but a light gray; the rest of the body is white.
The Siamese is known to be a very vocal breed. It can be very needy for attention, but only from the people it has warmed up to. It can take a while to earn the trust of a Siamese cat.
Photo Gallery - Pictures of Loki, the Blue Point SiameseClick thumbnail to view full-size
Preparing to bring home a Siamese kitten - A to-do list
Things you should do as you prepare to bring your Blue Point home.
- Learn about the breed. Looks like you already have Step 1 covered.
- Buy supplies. You will need a litter box, a bed, pet taxi, a climbing tree (or somewhere for your kitten to climb), scratching posts, food and water dishes, toys and grooming supplies such as nail clippers and a brush.
- Choose a food brand. It may be best to find out what type of food your new kitten is currently eating and slowly change to a brand you prefer.
- Decide on a veterinarian. If you don't currently have a vet, ask friends and family who they recommend in the area.
- Bring a pet taxi to pick up your kitten. A scared kitty might jump out of the passenger's lap and under the pedals as you drive.
- Ask about any special needs your kitten might have before taking him or her home with you.
- Did I miss anything? Please post your comments below.
One of Loki's favorite things
This was Loki's very first toy. She loved batting it around and making it squeak, at least until the dog got hold of it.
How to care for your Siamese cat
Is a Siamese cat the right pet for you? It is a cat that is favored by many, with its blue eyes and elegant coat. The Siamese cat, however, is quirky and particular. If you have decided that this is, indeed, the right pet for you, there are a few things you will need to know about caring for a Siamese cat.
Another one of Loki's favorite things
She doesn't play with it often, but when she does, she'll grab hold of it with all four legs and her mouth, and start kicking at it like crazy.
Siamese cat wall calendar
A calendar for the Siamese cat lover.
Helpful cat products
Cats absolutely need somewhere to climb, where they can feel as if they are on top of the world.
Loki loves making the ball roll around the toy; plus, there is a place where your cat can scratch to sharpen his claws - to keep them off your furniture!
The steps on this litterbox catch the mess as Loki finishes her business.
Loki loves anything with crinkle or feathers!
This is her absolute favorite toy ever. She goes crazy for the thing!