- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Valentines's Day Craft: 3D Cards
Stained glass 3D Cards
3 D stand with wax paper ornament
This is pretty fun project. We made this craft at Valentine's Party and everybody enjoyed making it. The things you need to be careful are, Iron should be used by adult only and kids should stay away from it. Also the wax paper is a little hot right after pressed, so let it cool before you give it to children.
You will need:
- wax paper
- pencil sharpener
- 1 construction paper
- 2 shopping paper bags
How to make the 3D stand
- Cut the construction paper : two squares, 6" x 6" each.
- Use a compass to draw a 4" diameter circle from the center of each square.
- Cut out the hole from each paper.
- On one square, make a cut 1/2" from the inside top and bottom of the circle
- On the other square, make a cut 1/2" from the outside top and bottom. (Please see the diagram in the picture.)
- The paper with the outside cuts goes inside of the other paper with the inside cuts and they slide into each other as shown in the picture.
How to make the stained glass ornament.
- Cut the wax paper and fold in half.
- Open the wax paper and sharpen the crayons, then close. ( Lighter color makes more see threw. )
- Place the wax paper between 2 shopping paper bags and iron it.
- Check the crayons are all melted, then take the wax paper out and cool it down.
- Cut out any shape you like. ( If you like to put inside the 3D stand, make sure the size is fit. )
- To hang the ornament, use the string and tape.
Using wax paper and white paper and parchment paper.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Parchment paper and wax paper
When I tried to make it first time, I didn't have wax paper at home.
So I used parchment paper.
Well, I thought it is ok first... but it peeled off soon.
When I checked on-line, it says, " parchment paper is coated with silicone to give it a nonstick, whereas waxed paper is coated with a wax such as soybean or paraffin."
No wonder it didn't stay together.
I also tried with regular white copy paper.
It actually stayed well and it is kind of interesting look to it.
But if you want to have stained glass looks, using the wax paper would be good.