A flower for Mom or just for fun!
Flowers are the perfect gift for Mother's Day. How about a flower that you can make yourself, and that won't wilt?
This fun project uses a piece of egg carton in a very clever way to make a beautiful flower. You can make a whole bunch, or you can make a single flower in a pot. Either way, Mom is sure to be delighted!
For free videos with more craft ideas, see my website.
What you'll need
- a small flower pot 6 cm (2½ in) diameter
- egg cartons
- small sharp scissors
- styrofoam ball of 3.5 cm (1½ in) (or pompom of about 3 cm (1¼ in)
- acrylic paint of various colours
- acrylic varnish (optional)
- pipe cleaner
- coloured construction paper
- glue gun
- white glue
- floral foam
- tissue paper
1. Paint the small flower pot in a colour of your choice.
2. Decorate the flower pot with one or various colours.
Note : to paint the coloured dots, I use the tip of the brush handle.
3. Cut the edges off a cell of a cardboard egg carton.
4. Draw the flower petals on the outside of the egg carton cell.
5. With small scissors, cut along the lines between the petals.
6. Cut the rounded edges of each petal.
7. Paint both sides of the flower.
8. Take a styrofoam ball and cut a slice that is less than half of the ball.
Note : with one ball you can make two flower centres and you will have a piece of styrofoam left.
9. Paint the rounded part of the ball.
Note : when the paint is dry, you can add a coat of acrylic varnish for a more beautiful finish (optional).
10. Make a small hole in the underside of the flower.
11. To form the stem, you will need half a pipe cleaner.
Pass the piece of pipe cleaner through the hole in the flower.
12. Bend a small piece of the pipe cleaner inside the flower. Put hot glue in the centre of the flower.
13. Glue the piece of styrofoam ball (or a pompom) in the centre of the flower.
14. Place some floral foam in the flower pot.
15. Plant the flower in the floral foam.
16. Cut a leaf from the coloured construction paper.
17. Plant the leaf in the floral foam.
18. To hide the floral foam you can put some coloured tissue paper on top of the foam.
Experiment with different flower designs!