- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Free Quilling Patterns Online
The art and uses of quilling
Quilling is an art form that uses strips of paper to create delicate and detailed designs. These strips of paper are rolled around a tool called a quill to create a basic shape. You then bend, shape, and pinch the paper to create a basic shape. Once you are satisified that this is the shape you want you dab a dot of glue on the tip to keep the shape. These coiled pieces of paper are then arranged to form flowers, leaves, snowflakes, animals and many other ornamental patterns. The possibilities are endless. Quilling is said to be one of the easiest crafts to learn and one of the most beautiful to look at. Nearly all of the quilling creations you come across are created using a few variations of the basic rolls and scrolls.
Quilling has an infinite number of uses. Their lacy delicate look lends themselves to many different decorative possibilities. Just to name a few: any knid of card (birthday, thank you, missing you, sympathy, etc), any invitation (wedding, shower, baby shower, birthday party, retirement party, etc), birth announcements, place cards, notecards, wedding keepsakes, package decoration, table decoration, candle decoration, trinket box decoration, customized, personalized frames, journals, diaries, nightlights, tealight shades decorations, holiday décor, Christmas decorations, and many more uses.
Free Quilling Patterns
This website is a one stop shop. They offer a complete array of quilling suppliesand they have a clear concise way of explaining the process of quilling. Their selection of free patterns is the best I have seen. They range from beginner to advanced and are all equally beautiful and creative. They have several catagories, each with a great amou7nt of free patterns to choose from. The catagories are as follows:
- Christmas - angel, Christmas bell and poinsettia, candy cane, gingerbread man, snokeflake, Christmad tree, holiday wreath, Christmas candles
- St. Paddy's Day/Irish - hat full of shamrocks, Claddaugh, tiny shamrocks, lucky pipe, Irish bear
- Valentine's Day/Love - valentine card, love, hugs and kisses, hearts and flowers, heart vine, heart/diamond, heart/flower, heart gift card
- Winter - mittens, knit hat, penguins on skates, snow shovel, snowman, sweater, winter bird, party snowman, snowflake
- Spring - Easter card, Easter egg, yellow crocus, cross, daffodils, flowers for basket, basket, mini-bouquet, fan, hot air balloon, wedding bells, wedding/mother's day card
- Men/Manly/Boys - cattails with mallard, one fish, two fish..., pool anyone?, chess piece, wheat, mushrooms, frog/lily of the valley, drum, What's that in your bassket?, TV time(remote and bowl of popcorn)
- School Days - globe, professor owl, an apple for the teacher, school bell, chalkboard, school house
- Summer Fun - pinwheels, kite and beach ball, circus tent, circus clown
- Baby/Children - baby rattle, chubby baby, little girl, baby rattle
- Fall Stuff - fall bouquet, layered mum, squirrel, layered sunflowers, wheelbarrow of pumpkins, autumn trees, october flower, fall colors, turkey, autumn leaves
- Halloween Stuff - candy apple, Jack-O-Lantern, Halloween kitty, Halloween treats, trick ot treat (Jack-o-Lantern treat holder), witch, Halloween couple (two black cats), spooky eye
This blog has a good selection of some very nice free quilling patterns. You'll be glad you stopped to look at them.
- 7 petal daisy - quick and easy
- 4 daisy patterns - basic patterns
- daisy pattern - shows how to combine quilling with card making
- turkey - simple techniques
- Christmas Poinsettia - makes a beautiful ornament
- hot air balloon - uses the fill-in technique
- wedding cake - fringed flowers and alternating side looping
- butterfly - intermediate pattern
- flowers of love - uses S-scrolls to make heart and accents with white coil flowers
On this website you will find two beautiful free patterns. They would most likely be for the more advanced quiller.
- flowers in a basket
- reusable candle pin
You will find a great introduction to quilling on this website, as must for anyone just starting to learn how to quill. The instructions are clear and easy to follow.
- baby card - baby footprints
- flowers - folder paper rose and 2 simple flowers
- Christmas wreath and angel
This website has one free pattern but it is so well done that I felt it deserved a mention. The instructions are simple, clear, and easy to follow.
- Paper Quilling - Fun Craft Projects and Ideas for Va...
Paper quilling craft ideas for Valentine's Day craft projects. Instructions on how to make quilled jewellery and quilled embellishments for handmade Valentine's Day cards.
- Paper Quilling - How to Make Quilled Butterflies and...
A tutorial on how to make butterfly and flower designs with paper quilling techniques.
- Paper Quilling - How to Make Your Own Quilled Jewelr...
A tutorial on how to design and make your own quilled jewelry with quilling paper.
- The Art of Quilling: Unique Paper Creations
Quilling is a craft that involves paper rolling. It has been in existence for hundreds of years but is not widely known. It is a sure to please kind of activity.
- Paper Quilling - Basic Techniques, Shapes and Design...
Learn the art of paper quilling. By following these easy instructions for paper quilling, you can master the techniques and make your own beautiful designs.