Free Single Crochet Patterns
What is Single Crochet?
Single crochet is the most basic stitch in crochet, outside of the chain stitch. When worked together, single crochet stitches create a dense, sturdy fabric. Because the stitch is dense, it tends to use more yarn than other stitches.
Even though single crochet is a basic stitch you can use it to create a wide variety of patterns. Blankets, bowls, crochet toys, and other types of crochet items are created using the single crochet stitch. In fact, single crochet is also the common stitch used in making crochet stuffed animals and Amigurumi (Japanese crochet stuffed animals).
Additionally, the single crochet stitch is a foundation stitch. Once you master it, you can easily perform other stitches, such as half-double crochet and double crochet.
Here is a tutorial on how to perform the single crochet stitch. You can also watch the videos below for more details.
How to Create the Single Crochet Stitch
Single Crochet Patterns
This list is an example of the wide variety of items that can be created using the single crochet stitch.
- Beginner Crochet Washcloth: A simple beginner's washcloth pattern.
- Single Crochet Potholder: Great single crochet potholder pattern.
- Single Crochet Hat: A basic hat pattern that is sure to keep your head warm.
- Crochet Slippers: An easy, comfortable single crochet slipper pattern.
- Crochet Flower Necklace: A necklace pattern that primarily uses single crochet.
Single Crochet Circle Coaster
My Other Crochet Hubs
- Free Crochet Bookmark Patterns - Quick, Easy Crochet Gifts
Crochet bookmarks make great last minute gifts for the reader in your life.
- Free Crochet Rose Patterns
A list of free crochet rose patterns. Make something cute for someone you love just in time for Valentine's day. Fair warning, once you start making roses, it's hard to stop!
- Free Thanksgiving Crochet Patterns
Decorate your house for Thanksgiving with these great, free Thanksgiving crochet patterns. Some of these would work as general fall decorations, allowing you to get a little more life out of your creations. These also make great gifts for family or f
- Free Crochet Wig Patterns
This hub highlights some great free crochet wig patterns available on the web. Perfect for customizing Halloween costumes, or for taking super cute pictures. (Wigs on babies, adorable.)
- Free Crochet Beard Patterns
Crochet beards are a great way to add some fun to a hat, costume, or just daily life. Use these free patterns to make something silly for yourself or a loved one. Includes patterns for children and adults.
- Free Doctor Who Crochet Patterns
This hub rounds up some of the best free Dr. Who crochet patterns available online. These patterns would make the perfect crafty gift for that Whovian in your life.
- Free Crochet Patterns That Make Easy Last Minute Gifts
A list of free crochet patterns that are easy to make as gifts. There are patterns for crochet hats, scarves, jewelry, coasters, and bowls, all of which are easy to make as quick last minute gifts.
- Free Crochet Patterns for Men
Want to crochet something for the man in your life, but don’t know what? Let this list of free crochet patterns for men inspire you to make something he’s sure to love.
- Amigurumi Crochet Animals
A discussion about what features make Amigurumi special from other crocheted animals. Includes tips and links to learn to make your own Amigurumi.