How To Make Melting Crayon Art
I found this on Pinterest and I have been making these artworks for like 6 months now. When I move into my room for the school year I will hang them up.
Many do not know of the magical land of Pinterest, but this is where I get a lot of craft ideas and try to attempt when I am bored.
This one was very successful, very fun, and very cheap!
1. Buy/Find/Steal Supplies
- Foam Poster Board: I get the really big one from CVS and cut it into four smaller boards
- Crayons: Any crayon box will do. They sell color specific crayon boxes which is best for blending crayons i.e. Red crayon box, orange crayon box...etc.
- Hot Glue with the Gun: This holds the crayon in place and dries quick. I got rubber cement which do not work and another glue that foamed, but took forever to dry. HOT GLUE IS BEST OPTION
3. Glue Crayons to Board
The crayons need to be glued on one of the sides of the board with the point facing down.
4. Tape Newspaper on walls and line floor
This is for when the crayons start to melt. They will drip on the floor and splatter in the beginning.
5. Lean Board on the Wall, Crayons at the Top
This is so the melted crayon will run down the board.
6. Plug In Hairdryer and Place Setting on Hot
Put the hairdryer close to enough to the crayons to start melting them. Go slow melting them. Going to fast makes the process slower. You will not melt all crayons at the exact time. Just melt a few at a time. You will understand when actually doing this.
7. Continue Melting Until Done
You may stop whenever you are happy with the outlook.
8. Leave to dry
Crayons will dry very fast.
- Dry the melted crayons halfway through by putting the hairdryer on cold. Then switch back to hot an remelt the crayons at the top of the board, this gives a 3D element.
- Holding the hair dryer close to each crayon for a few seconds on hot, makes the crayons melt faster.
- Aim the hair dryer at the falling melting wax, you can make it blend and give a wave effect.
- Command strips can hold the boards on the wall without ruining the artwork.
- DO NOT PLACE OVER HEATER OR IN HOT ROOM! This will melt the crayons at the top of the board and the cooled waxed.