- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork»
How to Make Giant Knitting Needles
How To Make Giant Knitting Needles
I find there is a great amount of charm and whimsy about these giant knitting needles. All my friends who have visited my flat are amazed by them, and I believe it is my duty to pass on this craft to other budding knitting faeries.
It is actually very simple. You will need:
- A couple of two foot long wooden dowels. I found mine in B&Q, I don't actually know what they are supposed to be used for, but they are there! It took me a while to find them but you can get them at various lengths and mine cost £2.50 each, good luck in the B&Q exhibition!
- .Sandpaper, or a sand paper sponge thing, also found in the depths of B&Q, preferably quite smooth., but don't panic if you can't find any of the smooth variety.
- A knife, one you don't mind getting blunt
- A tray or something to cover the floor of wood shavings
- PVA glue
- Some wool or fabric for wrapping around the bottom to stop your knitting from falling off the needle.
Right, now this may take a wee while, but sit with the knife and the dowels on the floor and make a marking of how long you want the points to be. Mine are about an inch and a half down.
Then carve a cross at the top of the dowel, on the circular shape, so you can make sure the point is in the middle.
Then start to chip away, but be careful! it takes a while to get the hang of it, but eventually you will have something that looks like a point on a knitting needle.
Do this for the other needle. It wont look very pretty at this point, but don't worry!
Get the sand paper out and give it a good smoothing! This will smooth out all the lumpy bumpy bits and it will look pretty impressive when you've finished. Give yourself a pat on the back, and maybe get a cup of tea as this is thirsty work!
Now smother the opposite end of the needles with glue, and wrap around the wool. Wrap a layer and then add more glue, keep going until it has made a nice ball shape on the end.
Wait for it to dry. You could make yourself some dinner, or do a puzzle or have a nap while you are waiting.
Hey Presto! Here we are! Now you can knit like a Borrower! Congratulate yourself and take a picture with a big thumbs up, and don't forget to post your comments!