How to make Firecracker-Hairbows
I love making hairbows. I hope you enjoy this craft as much as I do. This is just one of the many hairbows that I do for my daughter who is now two years old. You can clip these hairbows to head bands or just clip them on top of a pony tail. The hair clips usually come in a package of 10 or more so you will have plenty left over. You can also use the dowel sticks over and over. You can get creative with different colored ribbon and even add buttons. It is all up to you. Hope you like it!
- 2 rolls of ribbon, color of your choice
- 1 reusable foil pan
- 1 package dowel sticks
- 1 package hair clips
- pair of scissors
- 1 package clothes pins
- glue gun
- glue sticks
- roll of craft string
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Plug your glue gun up and set aside. Take the ribbon (color of your choice) and start at the top of one of the dowel sticks. Secure the ribbon with a clothes pin. Start wrapping the ribbon around the dowel stick going clockwise until you reach the end of the dowel stick. Cut the ribbon and secure the ribbon with a clothes pin at the bottom of the dowel stick. (Each end should have a clothes pin)
- Repeat step one with either the same color ribbon or different color ribbon. (It is your choice) Once you have all the dowel sticks with ribbon wrapped around them place them in the reusable foil pan and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. (Make sure you are keeping an eye on the oven)
- After you have taken the sticks out the oven, let them cool for about 10-15 minutes. After they have cooled remove the clothes pins from all the dowel sticks. (The ribbon should not become unsecured because it has taken the form of the sticks) Gently pull or unravel the ribbon from the sticks. Your ribbon should look like hair curls.
- After you have taken all the ribbon off the dowel sticks, cut the ribbon making 2 inch curls. (Cut the ribbon every 2 inches) After you have finished cutting the ribbons into 2 inch sections, set them aside. Place a piece of craft string vertically in front of you. Begin stacking your pieces of curly ribbon horizontally on top of the craft string (holding the middle of the stack in place with a finger). After every two or three pieces you stack take the the craft string and tie it firmly to hold the ribbon in place.
- After you have stacked the amount of ribbon that you want on your hair-bow, take the craft string and tie twice forming a secure knot to hold your bow in place. Cut off any excess string leaving just the knot. Set the bow to the side. Cut a 1 inch piece of ribbon (color of your choice) Take the hair clip and glue the bow to the hair clip. (make sure you glue knot side down on the clip) Press firmly in place to help the glue dry. (It should only take a minute) Take your 1 inch ribbon that you cut and secure it with a drop of glue on top of the hair-bow leaving the ends of the top ribbon hanging. Open your hair clip and take one end of the top ribbon and glue it to the inside of the hair clip. Take the other end and glue it to the inside of the hair clip securing the hair-bow on the hair clip. You have just made a firecracker bow!
- Optional: If you want to keep the ends from unraveling take a lighter and go over the ends with the flame rapidly to secure the ribbon edges.